Metal Marking Suddenly Too Dark

Since the Gift of Good Measure looks great, the machine is working correctly on proofgrade. It almost looks like your focus is off since the engraved area is so much thicker.

It was the lens!!

I took it out and looked it over, then reseated it. It was in the right way, but not seated all the way back. Two engraves now and they look perfect!

I can’t thank you enough. I am literally and figuratively back in business lol.

12 Likes

glad to hear it was something simple.

1 Like

Spoke too soon :frowning: … but at least I’m able to engrave with a workaround.

It seems to be ignoring my custom settings for the height of my materials. If I manually set them, instead of using my saved settings, it works just fine. When I select one of the saved ones, it goes back to being too dark.

So… it definitely is a focus issue, but doesn’t seem to be a hardware problem? Or is there something more I can look at?

Thanks again!

Note the time of the prints with those variations and support can check the logs.

1 Like

Excellent! Thanks much!

And still grateful for the above help, because at least I can work now!!!

2 Likes

I’m sorry you’ve ran into an issue on your Glowforge.

I’ve extracted your logs and I noticed the inconsistencies of the two prints are due to different settings for each. The first print was set to cut with a lower speed and the second one was set to engrave with a higher speed. Additionally, both prints had different focus heights.

For the next steps, I would recommend trying to replicate the settings from the first print. This time use Set Focus on the area of the material you wish to print on, and make sure it is set to engrave as opposed to cut.

If you’re not able to use the previous settings, please let us know!

Thanks Jeremy!

Your observations are correct. I first cut at a depth of .118 (to cut a jig in cardboard) and the second is to engrave the actual piece (which varies according to my saved settings).

I’ve used these settings for almost a year with no issues. I’ve tried Set Focus and it doesn’t help.

Something has changed in the last 72 hours. The only way I can engrave is to manually set the height of the material - I’ve never had to do this before.

Thanks!
Sarah

Here is an example from this morning. I used set focus on the left pendant and manually entered the (correct) height on the right.

The set focus isn’t getting the height right. And, when I select any of my saved settings, it seems like they are being overwritten by whatever the last focal height was. Hope that makes sense!

Reflective objects don’t focus well - are you putting tape or similar on it to give it a suitable target?

2 Likes

Yes, they are fully coated with a black marking material (like Cermark) prior to going in. It’s stainless steel, so it doesn’t actually engrave, only marks.

There is something wrong… I’ve been doing this for a year with no issues. I saw another post on the forum with a very similar issue and they pushed some kind of update to her GF. Hoping it’s that easy to fix mine :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Yup… the cermark would be enough to focus on.

Definitely sounds like a change in behavior…

1 Like

Yeah… so weird! Thankfully, with everyone’s help, I was able to narrow down the issue, so I’m able to work today.

Stuff happens. I’m just glad it’s not a complete shutdown :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @jeremyh,

I still have no resolution to this. Can you assist further?

Thanks!
Sarah

You may have already done this, and it may not be a valid question, but have you double checked that the height in your saved settings is correct? I’ve found I have accidentally saved a .25 height instead of a .125 and that messed everything up, even though I manually put in .125 to the materials bar at the very top.

1 Like

I sincerely apologize for the delay in response. I’m so sorry to hear that you’re continuing to run into trouble. We’ve made a small change on our side. When you have a moment, could you please reboot your Glowforge, and replicate the same print to see if the same behavior occurs?

Once the print completes, we’ll review the logs from the print, and ensure it is performing correctly. Let us know how it goes!

1 Like

Thank you! Yepper, I’ve checked (and triple checked everything!).

1 Like

Thank you SO much, Marc!!

Yes, whatever you did appears to have fixed the issue. I appreciate your help so much!

Have a great week,
Sarah

ETA: Engraved all morning with no issues!! And, my new Pro showed up today! Yay!
Thanks again :grinning:

4 Likes

Hi @sarah2472, I’m glad that resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!