Mid Print "cooling down" message

2 days ago my GF stopped mid print to cool down. I had never seen this but it resolved itself and finished the print. Then yesterday it did it again several times. On 3 occasions it paused to cool down with less than 20 seconds left to finish the cut.
Today I loaded my first print of the day which was to take about 31 minutes. It stopped 3 times to cool down. I canceled the print with 10 minutes left to go. The print head felt warm to the touch, but id expect that, other than that it was not hot at all. The blue light was on as well. The temperature in the room is about 68 F

I use the external air filter, Ive checked my connections from the fan to the filter and there are no problems. I have no build up of smoke or exhaust. I cleaned the machine per all directions with the exception of cleaning the fan since I do not have the recommended degreaser. Unfortunately I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

So that’s what it’s supposed to do - once cool it starts up again and finishes, but the increasing frequency leads to something being off.

What type of machine do you have (Basic/Plus/Pro)? The answers differ slightly

Also, check to make sure nothing has gotten sucked up underneath the front right side of the machine - that’s where the air intake is. Something as innocuous as a piece of paper can mess up that suction!

1 Like

thank you!

I have a Plus that I got about a month ago. When it did it the first time the other day I assumed what you said, that it is supposed to do that. But i agree that the increase means that something is wrong. Ill check under the machine. Ive also opened the window on the right side of the unit, hoping it will help to keep it cool till i figure this out, but so far no luck.

Ok, Plus means no “active” cooling - just air. It’s possible that you’ve got a sensor failing (when a staff member gets here they’ll be able to look at your logs and verify if that’s the issue).

Fingers crossed it’s easy like debris as 68° is right in the sweet spot.

Thanks, I checked and there is nothing blocking the air intake from underneath. Hopefully it won’t be to hard to fix. Im currently working a 29 minute cut and it has stopped six times. :confounded:

Sorry if I am misunderstanding you but you are using the external filter purchased from Glowforge, correct? And you opened a window in the room next to your glowforge?

First, I would recommend disconnecting the hose to the filter and running it out the window just in case it is an issue with the filter.

If that works, you know it is a filter issue.

Second… if you have a window right there, may I ask why you are using the filter? The window is free?

2 Likes

Yes, it is the GF external filter. Ill run the hose out that window, didn’t think it might be the filtration unit.

I live in upstate NY, and while running the hose out the window works in the summer, it doesn’t October-May. We’ve already had a number of frosts and snow in the mountains. I had cut a board to fit into the window and attached a dryer vent exhaust thing, but when it got cold it was just too cold in my office to keep that up. Im currently sitting here with a jacket and a blanket.

Understood. I live in the south so I didn’t realize folks had an issue with it being too cold. I thought there were plenty using it year round in all climates. I’ve just heard many complaints that the filter fills up so quick.

:cold_face: This year we were still getting snow in June!

I just got my GF yesterday & it did the same thing as well (cooling down message) twice for my 2nd print ever (snap & store box) which was supposed to only take ~7 mins total, but with all of the cooling took over 31 mins :woman_shrugging:t2: I printed the gift of good measure before that so there wouldn’t be an accumulation from previous prints … Mine is also a plus, but I’m not using an external air filter or anything, just the exhaust hose out the window. The actual printer was cool but I didn’t check if the printer head was hot or not, just assumed it would be otherwise no reason for cooling.

It would be useful if it mentioned at least how long the cooling time would be just so we’re not just wasting time waiting around for eternity.

Are you getting a message that it is cooling or just the yellow/orange light?

My plus started doing this today for the first time! I’ve had it since February and it’s the same temperature inside the room as it always has been. A 17 minute cut stopped with a minute to go to cool down. Also, all my cuts today, the light turned orange at the end before it went out at the end of the cuts. Weird.

Check the cable to the print head. If it gets a little loose or dirty in the connection, you could end up with the orange button. It has happened to me.

Im not getting an orange light at all, just the cooling down message.

I did disconnect the external filtration system as was suggested and I was able to get through 4 22 min etchings with no problems. I just sent a 30 minute cut to the printer to see how it goes.

2 Likes

Ok, so after disconnecting the external filtration the GF worked perfectly fine. Seems the problem lies with the external filtration unit.

2 Likes

Great. Maybe some of the users that live in cold areas can chime in and help you with the venting situation. I’m almost positive I’ve seen some mention venting with snow halfway up their house. It is so much easier and cheaper in the long run. I don’t have a filter so unfortunately can’t help you troubleshoot it otherwise. Good luck.

It has no idea how long it will take. If the ambient temps are too high, it will never cool down far enough.

2 Likes

Oh shame. It’s 32°C outside right now on this side of the world but room temp is nice & cool with AC :thinking:

I hooked up the external filtration unit and turned it all the way up to the highest setting for the fan in the external unit. I was assuming that the filter is too dirty to run at the lowest setting i had it at even though I’ve only been using it for 2 weeks. I ran a print this morning, it was a 32 minute cutting job and it stopped 3 times, so I’m more convinced it may be the external unit.

However, it is colder outside, so possible that when i switched back to venting from the window last night the cold air was what kept the unit cooler.

Hoping that someone from GF will connect and give me more info.

Hi @richelle.m.maki - I’m sorry to hear you’re running into this cooling issue , thanks for letting us know, as well as keeping us informed on the steps you’ve taken.

It certainly sounds like we’ve narrowed this down to maybe being an issue with the filter, that’s great progress! I extracted the logs to double check on things, and I don’t believe we’re looking at a sensor issue here, so I’d like to proceed with looking further into the filter itself.

Would you mind sending over a photo of the top of the filter cartridge?

1. Turn off and unplug your Filter
    The power switch is located on the back, next to the cord. Turn it off first, then unplug it from the wall.
  2. Open Filter
    There are four latches holding the top of the Filter in place. Lift the bottom of all four latches to release them, then lift off the lid.
  3. Take a picture
    Without removing the filter cartridge, take a picture of the top of the cartridge seated in the Filter and send it to us. The closer we can get for this photo the better to help us see details.

You can post those photos here, or if you prefer simply shoot them over to support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to take a look.