Mid-Print Problems…why has it still got glitches/bugs?

UPDATE:12/10/2021 I just went through the unplug…restart …etc as directed earlier. The GF lights do not come on now and it does not turn on now. I will ask this, so bear with me…when and if it is on, the computer screen said offline. Is there a built in button/command to press to tell the GF to connect to any specific WiFi? I just tried the unplug and on/off switch…still dead!
My 27" inch iMAC will ask what WiFi by name to use. There is no such option that I see for the GF if to use a different connection might be part of the solution. I am beyond frustrated. Need to make things by Tuesday to take to family.
Okay, west coast GF brains…send me a magic idea to get this brick running. Please. Meanwhile…I’ll try again in a few hours. Later Gator-

12/09/21 The last weeks have found me with a GF that might or might not perform as expected. Around noon today it cut out 8 Christmas items. Good job. Turned it off.

Returned around 4:45 CST to print 6 tree ornaments from one file. The first worked well, then during the 2nd one the GF just suddenly stopped moving and there was no laser beam. Lights were on, button was on, even the remaining time kept counting down. BUT IT SAT THERE FROZEN!

It was not off line. There was a strong WiFi connection.

GF company has marketed these machines for how long? 5 +/- years?
I am getting tired of “debugging” these issues.
The problems experienced during the last month or so ARE NOT UNIQUE TO ME. The Owner’s forum has posts that go back years.

WHY DO THESE PROBLEMS STILL EXIST? They need to get their designers heads to work and get these bugs fixed!
You might be 20-30 years old, with young kids and a business, with full lives waiting to be lived. I’m a hobbyist, 70 yo, trying to make things to give to my family. My timeframe ends in 5 days. I will retry tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed.
But……I don’t need to have more stress due to a non- functioning machine. I bet it did not have 250 hours on it when I had to send it back to them for close to a $1000 repair a couple years ago… Is that common for you full time users who are trying to make money? Has your machine had these issues? I like GF when it works, happy to have it at those times. But dang, why is it so unpredictable?
GF has been out there for 5+/- years and SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED of the glitches or bugs we owners still face!
I’m tired people. I apologize for this rant. Merry Christmas to all. HoHoHo!

I am with you! I am about to throw my Glowforge out the window. One day it works. The next time I turn it on it does not! This has been happening to me for the last week or so. Every day is a gamble as to whether or not it will work. Today I could not get it working at all. Says camera can’t take picture. The print head does not move along the gantry. I’ve cleaned and cleaned it. I have a strong Wi-Fi connection. It does not say off line. I have turned it off and on countless times letting it sit for (sometimes) hours between. It remains frozen! I’m at my wits end. I do have a business and a whole bunch of orders that need to go out before Christmas. Not sure what I am going to do.
I’m venting I know, but I am SO FRUSTRATED!!

The issues you are seeing are usually local. Because the Glowforge uses a WiFi connection on the 2.4 GHz wavelength, there are lots of sources of interference and these can come and go from minute to minute.

The first step you should do is attempt to set up your Glowforge on your phone, with your phone set up as a hotspot. This will eliminate your WiFi as a source of the issues. If you have done this and it does not make a difference, you will need to report this on your ticket so that the support representative can know that information.

Note that a strong WiFi connection as measured by another device does not translate to a strong WiFi connection at the Glowforge.

I have never had a connection issue with my Glowforge and I have had it for years.

7 Likes

If it stopped midway then it could be either
(a) it was cooling
(b) the print carriage fan was not running at the correct speed

In either of those cases you should see a notice popup on your browser screen. I’m not sure what happens if you are on an iPad.

Do you check the browser screen, do you leave it open so you can see what is being reported?

I have seen instances where the error message is hidden, press the HIDE button on the print time counter and it will you show error messages.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear your Glowforge is having issues connecting to the wifi. When setting up your Glowforge you connect it to a wi-fi network it will automatically connect to that same network when it is turned on.

I extracted logs from your Glowforge and it looks like it was able to connect successfully to your network, but it may be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. When this is the case, you won’t need to go through Wi-Fi setup again, but you may see an “Offline” message.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using

2. Turn off your Glowforge

3. Unplug your modem

4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point

5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
    • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
    • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
    • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
    • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
    • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge

2. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

Your Glowforge needs internet access. However, it does not need to be connected to the same network as the computer, phone, or tablet that you are using to print.

For example, you can create a hotspot on your cell phone and use that network to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi. This is a good way to rule out Wi-Fi interference, since you can set your phone right on top of your Glowforge!

You can find instructions online to help you create a Wi-Fi hotspot from your cell phone. Make sure that you set it up to be a 2.4 GHz hotspot, since that is the frequency your Glowforge uses.

Once the Wi-Fi hotspot is broadcasting, follow these steps to connect to it:
  1. Turn on your Glowforge.

2. Wait 30 seconds, and then hold down the button for ten seconds until it glows teal.

3. Go to to setup.glowforge.com and then follow the steps to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi. When prompted to connect, , select the hotspot you created.

4. Once Wi-Fi setup is complete, go to app.glowforge.com and try a few prints.

To see the Wi-Fi setup process in more detail, go to Connect Your Glowforge to WiFi.

Let us know how it goes.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.