Military-Style Belt Buckles

Ran across these black anodized (enameled?) web belt buckles for $2 each and wondered #WillItGlowforge?

Yes it will. :relaxed:

10/335/340lpi (PRU)

83 Likes

Out of likes :+1:

They look so cool!

7 Likes

That came out really sharp! :smiley::+1:
(What’s a SUDO?)

4 Likes

Cool!

4 Likes

Unix/Linix geek talk. here is more than you want to know: sudo - Wikipedia

6 Likes

Uber-geeky computer lingo – if you have SUDO privileges on a system, you can do anything on it.

sudo (/ˈsuːduː/ or /ˈsuːdoʊ/) is a program for Unix-like computer operating systems that allows users to run programs with the security privileges of another user, by default the superuser. It originally stood for “superuser do” as the older versions of sudo were designed to run commands only as the superuser.

6 Likes

Want to guess how close I came to engraving the first one upside down (alternatively, making a ladies’ model)?

3 Likes

Okay, do guys do their buckles backwards too? :smile:

2 Likes

Lefties do!

4 Likes

Yes, yes we do. Shirts, zippers, belts — it’s all XY mirror-world over here.

3 Likes

ROFL! I assume there’s a reason for it right? Anybody know why?

(I do know that it costs a hell of a lot more to get a ladies blouse dry cleaned than a man’s shirt, and I’m still trying to figure that one out.)

5 Likes

AAAAAnd it all dates back to men carrying swords…

8 Likes

Seriously? That’s a hoot! We haven’t done the sword thing in a pretty good while.

5 Likes

Why do I know such things?

People at work call me a cornucopia of useless knowledge.

Yes, seriously.

5 Likes

And here I thought it was for ease of access during automobile-based courting rituals.

8 Likes

Now I’m laughing! :joy:

3 Likes

And Google gives varied answers so YMMV.

1 Like

Of course, my rationale breaks down in Great Britain, Japan, and other sword-based driving conventions… As well as the obvious sexist bias inherent in it. Oops.

3 Likes

Nice!!

1 Like

What I’d always heard is that men’s buttons and buckles and such are designed for right-handed people to fasten themselves. Women’s are designed for their (presumably right-handed) servants to do for them and are thus backwards.

This article includes that idea, but also quite a few others about why it might be.

7 Likes