Minimalist Wallet

So i recently got Illustrator and followed a tutorial on YouTube by @littlekinggoods who went through making a wallet. I took what i learned there to modify/recreate one of my files. Here it is. Its a simple wallet. Let me know if you have any issues with it or suggestions. I’ve been using this style of wallet for several months as my daily driver and love it. Thank you @littlekinggoods for the tutorial and giving me the courage to jump into illustrator.

AI Wallet - front pocket side pocket

45 Likes

Looks great - are you willing to post a photo of the final product in use?

2 Likes

I just added a photo to the original post. It isn’t the one I use daily but it is the latest one i made with this file.

3 Likes

That looks really great! I’ve messed with leather since getting my Glowforge and love using it. There’s no smell like leather:-)

3 Likes

Love it. My quest for the minimalist wallet has always left me a bit short. I might try and give this one a try and see if it solves my problem

Thank you!

3 Likes

Not to sway you away from making your own or following this design, my favorite minimalist wallet is by thread wallets in fact, I’ve been really wondering where the get their fancy custom elastic bands, but I assume they probably have a factory somewhere they can request them from.

1 Like

Those are pretty neat. That elastic band is a great idea. I think they have a manufacture overseas. I don’t think they make them in the US. Those prices are too low to be hand made here. That is a big time operation. I really like it though.

1 Like

Nice wallet! I love the simplicity.

1 Like

Ooo, a minimalist clean design is always lovely in my book! Nice stitching too (it isn’t easy to maintain even stitches and keep the thread from gathering too much soot). Well done!

3 Likes

i’ve seen others do the slashes for the stitches but I haven’t tried that yet. i’d be interested to see what others have done and if they prefer the circles or the slashes for stitches.

1 Like

That looks amazing. I love the minimalist look of it!

2 Likes

I prefer circles because if you have a lot of pressure on them slashes will tear faster. If you’re doing a purely decorative one it wouldn’t matter.

1 Like

They definitely have a factory but 75mm patterned elastic is available via Amazon, Etsy, Alibaba, etc.

My hubby has recently gotten into the minimal wallet thing so now I’m thinking…

2 Likes

In the future iteration would you make the Stitching holes smaller

1 Like

I prefer circles too. I think they’re easier to sew and they make it easier to get a more consistent look.

2 Likes

I really like this! I have not attempted any leather yet. I was just brainstorming the other day what I should try first on my leather I have. Think I will give this a go. May I ask what material is used to sew it? Thanks!

Play around with it. I made a wallet that with this template that has small logos from the college I went to along with a larger mascot on it. I also tried a smaller weight leather.

4 Likes

I don’t recall what thread I bought. I know I got it from Tandy. It’s pretty thin so it wouldn’t surprise me if I found out if it meant for a sewing machine.

Ok. Thanks!