Minor Feature Request: tab notification

i highly doubt that anyone at glowforge would replace 3D engraving with a notification.

And of course, 3D engraving is already possible using “Vary Power”… so I’m very curious to see what the new optimized 3D settings can accomplish.

“Depthmap” processed with “vary power” on scrap plywood cut from a shipping crate:

(the reaction of the grain in this wood is really interesting to me)

15 Likes

IKR? I had a piece of oak which has a very ‘expressive’ wood grain, the background engraved away, the grain oriented vertical looked like a stage theater curtain behind the raised text.
Those are some neat examples of experimentation. That’s one thing that had given me the most joy in this adventure, seeing what effects manifest on what material.

I’m really liking the “Hey! your machine just got more powerful!” aspect of this machine’s connectivity.

7 Likes

I love this idea of a notification when our job is ready to print. I’d also suggest that maybe consider an auditory signal as well. My work email has a “ding” when an email comes in. Something like that would also be great, and it would also not take up “real estate” in the tab.

2 Likes

A notification is only needed because it takes minutes instead of seconds. Can anybody explain why processing 2D images at moderate resolutions or even just vectors takes minutes in 2017?

1 Like

I think you have done a pretty good job of talking yourself into a refund man. You’ve been building that case for a long time. You strike me as someone who would be happier with a machine you can hack into what you want.

2 Likes

Yes I would be happier with an OS project and it does look like a choice between cancelling and receiving the machine and hacking it. The hardware seems sound, apart from being too fragile for UPS, but the software is a big disappointment.

1 Like

I’ve worth in expediting for a major carrier. The packaging on the Glowforge is some of the best I’ve ever seen. It isn’t 100%, but I’ve never seen any packaging that was 100%, even when done by experts. Some of treatment shown to the boxes we’ve seen posted here, a cement block or bar of steel would not have arrived unscathed. You can certainly blame Glowforge for that, but it is hardly reasonable.

3 Likes

These look really neat!

2 Likes