Mirror Head Scratched

Please help our laser isn’t firing and we think this scratch is the culprit! Of course we go to replace it and they are sold out.

I can’t see how that would prevent the laser from firing. It may not focus properly but it should still do something.

3 Likes

Hello @alwayzevolving - I’m very sorry to hear you’ve run into this trouble with your printer, thanks for letting us know.

I just want to clarify, it sounds like your laser isn’t appearing at all during prints any more, is that right?

If so, there may be more at play here. A scratch like that could impact the strength of the laser, but would not likely stop it from showing up entirely. I’d like to review the remainder of your optical pieces to see if there’s anything else that helps to explain your trouble.

Could you do the following for me?

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens
    • Both sides of the lens, top and bottom

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

Have you tried soaking that spot with alcohol and then gently wiping with a lens cleaning wipe? It may actually just be some resin build up.

1 Like

Hello Mike I sent the attached photos. Please advise what part needs do be replaced. We have orders backing up. Thank you

Hi @alwayzevolving Thank you for getting back to us with the photos Mike requested earlier.

Can you try another cleaning to see if the spot is able to come off of this Silver Laser Window and let me know if is stuck?

Also, feel free to include a photo of the bottom of the printer head like below and we can see if there are any potential causes of the print trouble as well.

Thank you!

Good Morning,

Whatever was on that mirrored piece came off, however, it’s still not firing. Here is the other picture per your request.

My husband says that it gave him the air assist fan error. He then removed the belt and took the fan out to clean it. After putting it all back together then it started engraving but stopped firing but it kept going as if it were still engraving.

That’s it cleaned.

Hi @alwayzevolving. Thank you for getting back to me with the added the photos and information after trying a recent print. Since the spot on the Silver Laser Window was able to come off, I’d like to continue working with you to troubleshoot this through email. I just sent an email to you with some next steps. I’ll keep this thread open until we’re able to confirm you have been able to receive my email and will look forward to your response. Thank you.

Hello Brandon, you can close the thread and we can correspond via email. I’m just awaiting the follow-up email with next steps to take. Thank you so much for assisting us.

Hi @alwayzevolving . Thank you for confirming and I’ll go ahead and close this thread now. Thank you!