Mirror Won't Seat

After taking the mirror out for cleaning, it will not reseat itself properly. I have tried everything I can think of, and sometimes it won’t even stay level. I had to return the entire machine once before for this problem, but thought I would touch base and see if anyone else had found a solution. Tina MacDonald

I’ve never heard of that. Got a pic?

1 Like

Do you mean this mirror?

With almost 35,000 owners now, there was bound to be one that has the same problem with different machines… :thinking:

And you’re positive you are putting it in correctly? It seems backwards to me when replacing it in the machine when you do it correctly.

Please note you need to insert the mirror into the hole at an angle in order to seat it correctly. Pics below:

• Replacing the mirror incorrectly can permanently damage your Glowforge. Fortunately, we designed it to be easy!
  • Hold the mirror by the handle and gently slide it into the notch with the mirror at a 45 degree angle to the top of the Printer Head.

Mirror 1
Mirror 2
replace 45 mirror 3

Full instructions here:

5 Likes

I’m so sorry, guys… I misspoke. The LENS won’t seat after being taken out for cleaning, not the mirror. Any ideas? Tina MacDonald

Are you using the tool provided?
When you gently insert the lens atop the tool you should here it click onto the magnet inside. Is it not doing that?

After many tries (using the tool provided), and a thorough cleaning of the hole, it finally clicked into place, and now seems to be working again. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I actually had to send it all the way back to Texas once for this exact problem. I just hope this isn’t a sign that the mechanism is failing again. Thanks for everyone’s help. Tina MacDonald

1 Like

Good news is that a print head replacement no longer requires sending your machine back to Glowforge. They mail those out as replacement parts now, to be swapped in-home.

2 Likes

That is fantastic news!!! Makes me feel a little better in case this happens again. Thanks for all your help.
Tina MacDonald

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!