Moisture in camera?

Hello everyone

Our Glowforge arrived last week and it’s already proved great fun - but there’s an issue with the camera. The left hand side of scan images in the app shows up blurred and foggy. The camera looks like it has a small quantity of moisture trapped in it on that side.

It was very cold in the UK when it arrived, and there was some condensation on the unit when I unpacked it, so I left it to dry. I guess that’s how the moisture got in?

A week on, the blurring seems less pronounced and I think the camera is gradually drying out, but it’s still notably blurry.

Has anyone had any experience with similar issues? It would be cheering to hear that the problem. will resolve itself and I won’t need to ship the unit back across the Atlantic. I’ve found some posts from people in humid environments who has to wait for their unit to dry out, but I didn’t see anything about the camera specifically.

Thank you!

Can you do a screen capture of what the camera sees when you set up a job? You can post it here by dragging it onto a new line inside a reply. Then support (or fellow customers) can see how blurry you are talking about. Sometimes the images are a little fuzzy, but that doesn’t impact alignment. Other times there might be a problem, so someone needs to look at it.

Also, if you can get a closeup shot of the moisture in the lid camera, support could take a look at that as well. Since the lid camera is supposed to be glued down, there’s no way you can get inside it, but taping a few fresh dessicant packages around it, and then closing that off from the air around it with a sheet of heavy plastic and aluminum tape might pull the moisture out of the camera. (I live in a humid area too. Dehydrators are great if you can get one, and cheaper than shipping it back.)

3 Likes

I second the idea of silica gel packets taped to the camera.
If you live in a humid environment, you can dry out the packets by heating them.

2 Likes

I am so sorry you hit a snag.

Could you please do the following for me?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Using a Zeiss wipe, gently wipe the lens of the wide-angle camera on the unit’s lid.
  3. Take a photo of the camera.
  4. Post it to this thread and we’ll be happy to take a look.

Thank you in advance,

It’s been a little while since we’ve heard back from you. I hope that’s because everything worked out! If not, just let us know and we’ll get it solved.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.