Moleskine Cover

Here’s a design for a leather moleskine cover. The one I made for myself has a few images on it. I removed the Escher image, so if you want that, you have to find it yourself. The fractal I figured is ok. It’s tight, and it’ll require a tiny bit of break in to get it to a perfect fit, but it’s very nice and the feel in the hand is awesome. I hand stitched it. If you want to do the same, you’ll need 2 needles and some waxed brown linen thread. Look up “Saddle Stitch” for how to do it. It’s super easy. You’ll probably also want to oil the leather with neatsfoot oil and lexol. The small rectangular piece is optional. It’s for putting a pencil. Always annoyed me when I have used moleskines in the past that there’s nowhere to put a pencil.

It fits an 8.25"x5" Moleskine.

Moleskine.zip (1.9 MB)

104 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you for the files. Wonderful engravings.

1 Like

Gosh, that’s wonderful! Thanks for your generous share!

1 Like

So lovely … And very kind of you to share your work.

Very cool! I like the pencil pocket too! :grinning:

Thanks for posting the design, it’s great!

One thing I’d probably change on it is to add a second pen loop and stitch it into the front cover… that way you could slip the pen into both as a cover interlock.

11 Likes

Great suggestion!

Great design–thank you. I may have to make use of this at some point–though I machine stitch my leather projects (pros/cons to that).

But bit confused, since haven’t used the term used for a book cover before… but rather as a type of fabric (usually heavily brush cotton twill), or of course hides of moles, but did google it. Aha! Moleskine is a trademarked brand for journal & book covers, so just be careful to not copy their work.

But bit confused, since haven’t used the term used for a book cover before… but rather as a type of fabric (usually heavily brush cotton twill), or of course hides of moles, but did google it. Aha! Moleskine is a trademarked brand for journal & book covers, so just be careful to not copy their work.

This is a cover for the trademarked brand of journal called Moleskine. Yes. No copying is made here, it’s a leather cover for that brand of notebook.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying!

Oh wow! I just spent the last few days making similar-but-not-quite-the-same moleskine covers! I wish I’d seen this earlier. Here are mine, if anyone wants a variant:

Basic cover:

Cover with pen loop and snap clasp:

27 Likes

Love it! It looks great! I dig the clasp idea.

2 Likes

This is great!

I’m pretty sure I love you both. I’ve been thinking about doing this and here you are, with gorgeous designs offered up as perfect guidance! I am a rank novice- may I ask what weight leather you used? I’ve been looking at some gorgeous blue veg tanned leather, but I have NO CLUE as to what weight to get.

Thanks again for sharing this!

1 Like

I’m a novice, too! This is the second journal I’ve made. I picked up some 2-3 oz veg tanned leather at Tandy. I highly recommend going in there if you get a chance, they can help you figure out everything you need to get, and the person helping me didn’t oversell at all.

I wrote up a quick blog post on the steps to make the journal, I hope it helps!

2 Likes

I’m totally a novice as well, I went to the leather store here in Portland (Oregon Leather) and bought a half-a-hide of veg tanned cow leather. I don’t recall what weight they said it was, but I’d say it’s probably medium-to-thick. I’ll ask them next time I’m there (this weekend probably).

My wife has since made 2 more of these, one of which she dyed a nice deep blue. Looks really great.

2 Likes

No such luck at my Tandy this morning, but the gentlemen who helped me made sure I got the right materials to dye it myself, which, after a few YouTube Viewings, I should be able to handle. Can I just say I’m petrified right now, but I got a large enough piece to allow for multiple screw-ups.

1 Like

Excellent design and execution. Well done. The force is strong in this one…

1 Like

Visited the leather store yesterday. We used 6-7 oz leather.

1 Like