Moment photocase engrave

Just did a custom engrave on the M-series case w/ the Walnut Wood inlay.

used “Thin Walnut Veneer” & “SD Graphic” settings with “Vary Power” of the black kanji. I did not use any masking.

For the next try, I will probably mask somehow, and maybe reduce power, as the engrave is a bit deep.

Does anyone have any idea what the shine is near the engrave, and how I might get rid of it? Would masking have prevented it?

10 Likes

Residue from the engrave. I like to use plain white vinegar on small areas, but alcohol works well, too.

4 Likes

Beautiful outcome on the phone case, btw. I like the deep engrave. And you can always have the option of filling that with epoxy resin if you’d like. But I think it’s perfect.

4 Likes

The white vinegar did the trick. Thank you for the tip. FYI, the engrave is ~.018" deep.

I would probably ruin it if I tried to fill with epoxy. (plus, don’t have a vacuum chamber to get the bubbles out after mixing) so will leave as is.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what masking is meant for, it catches the smoke and resin vapors and prevents that. On a simple design like that, there’s no reason not to use it.

It is great to see this project! Thank you for sharing the image and details.
I am researching if the Moment Canvas backed cases will also allow for engraving…just trying to figure out what the canvas is treated with.