More clutches

I was asked to make a couple of custom clutches. Gonna need more leather so I can get back to the purse I was designing. :yum:

38 Likes

The hibiscus doesn’t show up as clearly but it looks good against the green. I also need to get better at my edging. :wink:

1 Like

You’re really inspiring me to tackle a clutch! The color blends you come up with are just outstanding! :grinning:

1 Like

Wow that’s really some nice work there!

1 Like

They are really pretty easy. If you were to get one tool to make it easier it would have to be jewelry pliers. They are helpful when you get down to the last few tabs and don’t mar the leather like regular needle nose pliers would. I couldn’t find my pliers for the first one and just used some waxed thread for pulling the ones that have a cutout. My fingers were a bit sore I got it done.

I’ve been using 4 - 6 oz tooling leather so it is quite stiff. I like the way the clutch holds it’s shape but I don’t know how a more supple leather would work.

Thank you. The colors for these two were by request. I wanted to do one green/blue but green/purple it is. :wink:

Thanks!

I just got asked if I can do the larger purse design for tomorrow. I haven’t worked on the design since the prototype. Think I can update the design, cut and dye the leather, create a custom sewing themed stamp, and assemble it all tonight? :cold_sweat:

4 Likes

I love your leather work, this is yet another thing I’ve got to delve deeper into. One tool, so many uses.

2 Likes

Thank you. That really means a lot since I’ve never done anything like this before getting the Glowforge.

Yesterday I got a commission for the small purse for Christmas. I need to get the design fixes done after the prototype but I feel good for getting it made.

4 Likes

On the bright side, these are the longest nights of the year. If you can’t do it now, there is no hope for June.

2 Likes

The Artisan’s Clutch clutch in the GF Design store shows it requires only some leather, some wood and some glue to put together. Are there no stitches in it or it is all held together with just glue?

I haven’t made that one but it looks like it. These clutches are the other design and are just leather held together with tabs, no stitching.

From what I can see of the other clutch it is just using finger joints and glue. If you use proofgrade materials the depth of the finger joints shouldn’t be an issue. With non-pg you would have to deal with the material thickness.

2 Likes