More edge lit acrylic

Made these for some close friends of my older son…can’t sell stuff like this but giving them as gifts…

47 Likes

Kewl! (Is that more Pokemon?) :relaxed:

7 Likes

Oh no! It’s Sonic the Hedge Hog. :grin:

(But, you probably know that)

8 Likes

Uhhmmmm, yeah, yeah…I knew that… :flushed::blush:

15 Likes

Lmao. You’re just overcome by your impending chocolate coma…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9 Likes

These are the types of projects that I want to make too. I like the size and shapes of your LED bases. I got some of the LED bases that you told us about that are the menu holders, but haven’t seen these before. I can’t wait until I am able to make projects like this.:relaxed:

3 Likes

They are nice because they are both usb or battery powered

5 Likes

Do you have a link for those bases? I have a feeling that I have a lot of edge-lit acrylic in my future. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll have to look for it…I remember I had to buy 50 at a time at $6-$8 each

10 Likes

Ouch! We might need to do a buyer’s club thing…pool resources and split an order or something. (Don’t need 50 right off the bat, but I’d like a few too to play with.)

13 Likes

I second your “ouch”, as well as the idea of a buyer’s club.

5 Likes

They are similar to wine bottle LED bases (you can get from ebay for a few $ each in quantities of 1 if you’d like). Except those have a mirror as the top with the LED light in the center. You can alter those though by making a black acrylic circle to cover the base and put a slot in it for the acrylic topper figurine. Then you don’t need to spend $300 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I could spring for 10 or so…

5 Likes

Would it be possible to drive the led’s with a solar cell plus storage capacitor ?
Had the idea a couple of years ago, but never got round to trying it.
(Not like the garden lights, which use a rechargeable battery.)
Now I describe it, I’m not sure it’s a great step forward, but thought I’d ask :wink:
John

5 Likes

Fairly sure super capacitors capable to matching lipoly battery capacity are still more expensive than the batteries. One advantage of lipoly is you can get nice charging/regulation boards from someone like Adafruit with all the bugs worked out.

1 Like

Ah, cost.
Now why didn’t I think of that - “Too clever by half, that’s your problem” as mother used to say !

4 Likes

I thought I had found a good deal, but it was only the European adapter, and tried to remove the post. :cry:

2 Likes

http://www.dhgate.com/product/7-colors-led-lamp-base-for-3d-illusion-acrylic/375823559.html#s1-1-1;searl|1775936520

24 Likes

Neat! Bought some for the office.

4 Likes

Awww now why would I use those LED bases when I can build my own using $30 in materials and 4 hours of labor? bahahaha!! :joy:

11 Likes