More Proofgrade beta samples: walnut and cherry 1/8" plywood

I got some more Proofgrade from Glowforge last week. Although labeled “beta”, it is as good as I would want or need. I did three matchbox bins with the three types to compare and contrast how it looks and fits together. No need to adjust the design. It’s dead on uniform in thickness.

First the Cherry:

Back piece.

Note that engrave does not leave too dark a layer visible in the keyhole slot.

Detail of the white tree of Gondor. I did custom settings for this to get a deep relieve. 5%, 335 i/m, 340 lpi.

Really love the precision of the engrave and detail.

Finished matchbox bin in cherry.

Now the walnut:

Really like the grain. Tight, interesting. Perfect finish.

Detail of the tree. Same settings as cherry. This went through the top layer of walnut veneer to the core. Core is lighter. Interesting effect. Might consider infill with black or white or some cool material like a sparkly resin before pulling masking to do an inlay. Or just make an inlay!

Back panel.

Hallmark at default dark engrave. Very nice.

Love those living hinges.

Glue up. Keep rubber bands on hand. Using Loctite GO2 all purpose glue. Allows for time to position but sets fairly quickly. Not quite as messy.

Glamor shot.

And the three sisters: left to right maple, cherry and walnut.

My joy is complete!

Here is a silent video. My voice is still pretty rough from the chest cold so I just did subtitles.

86 Likes

Okay you have to quit showing this stuff off now Marion, you’re making me get antsy to get my hands on one of these things again…I’ll accidentally start another squeee outbreak and we’ve still got a few months to go. :wink:

That cherry is gorgeous! :smiley:

21 Likes

well done those look great

10 Likes

“your killing me smalls”

16 Likes

These are the plies right? Not the hardwoods?

9 Likes

Yes. Plywood. Will edit title.

9 Likes

They all look fantastic and each one is different in the way the different woods look when engraved. I really like the living hinges too. :relaxed:

8 Likes

Wow!
Love that cherry :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

These boxes are looking great! It looks like you’ve gotten everything dialed in!

11 Likes

laser cutters and Tolkien…Life is good…And this is making me impatient :smile:

11 Likes

I am literally DROOLING ! (honestly, serious salivation going on). These are gorgeous! and it can’t be said too often - you are so kind to share your work! :heart_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

The proof grade woods are looking better and better as I see how easy it is to work with the GF. I can see myself buying lots of it. What sizes does it come in? :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Wow–I’m so impressed, and it’s great to see the three woods side by side with the same design. It gives a great sense of how contrast works on each one.

13 Likes

OOOOHHH walnut gets my vote !! (They are all amazing looking however!) :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

They are all so gorgeous, it’s hard to choose a favorite. Nice job!

And of course I had to Google “Lux Fiat.” So nobody else has to, it means: “Let there be light.”

10 Likes

Woooooooooooowwwwwww, so amazing!

2 Likes

At the moment the three plywoods available to me are 12x20"

5 Likes

I like it! Very similar to the dice tower.

Very very awesomely…I love the walnut myself, love the contrast in all of them as well.awesome

Neat the three for comparison…I do love Cherry. I especially like the Latin Fiat Lux - Let there be light…:slight_smile: - Rich

2 Likes