More software questions

As “G” day approaches, I need to spend more time learning software to help me use my machine as I want. I’m fair with Photoshop, but I realize that won’t cut it. I’ve long thought I’d simply use Illustrator, and I probably still will, but in reading more here, fusion 360 might be something I will end up trying. I have the ability to use both on a regular computer, but at home at night, I find myself “working” a lot on odd things (and design ideas would fall into that for me), and all I use is my pad.

I see both programs have similar ipad software, that can at least take anything done on the pad and put it into the regular program. Has anybody used these? They worth anything? Harder/easier to use than the computer version?

5 Likes

I have adobe sketch and I believe illustrator on my iPad and I draw in them regularly but I haven’t tried exporting anything yet. I keep telling myself I’ll do it and throw it up in the free designs to see if one of the kind prerelease users will try it but then I get side tracked with robots or tv or cleaning the kitchen. One of these days I’ll do it

2 Likes

Check out @cynd11 's tutorial here - she uses a couple of apps on an ipad to get some great results:

4 Likes

Thanks.

I have seen a number of good pad based programs, but I was really hoping to stay with something that I used on a computer to avoid any issues with moving a file between the two, and so I didn’t have to learn yet another program.

Oh that’s probably my fault when you said pad I thought you meant iPad so I responded and then ended up with a link more useful to me than to you. Are you using a Wacom or something similar? i think Corel has been used by a few people and I know there’s threads out there discussing drawing tablets. Someone better at tracking and linking might be along soon to provide links otherwise maybe try searching the forum for Wacom and see where that gets you

I thought he meant an ipad too! Sorry !

1 Like

My fault, I could have been much more clear.

So, I see Illustrator and fusion 360 both have IPAD versions. Both say they are compatible with the desktop version. Easy file transfer between the two and so on. This is a perfect solution for me, so I can work on files anywhere (My business, we have our own server, that I can access from anywhere via the ipad and get virtually anything I need). I’m not opposed to learning an IPad specific program to do some of the stuff, but I was hoping to not have to. Basically I’m wondering if anybody has used the iPad versions of bothe (either) of these programs and how they work and compare with the desktop version. I would expect some loss of functionality, but how much.

Neither of the ipad versions cost anything, so I really don’t have anything to loose, but I have not worked with either desktop program yet either, so I can’t just go whip something up and see for myself.

I don’t have an iPad to test with, just an iPhone, so take this with a grain of salt.
(although I put in some research around the holidays to help my mom move forward with a drawing app on her ipad)

The mobile apps from Adobe are companion apps. They are not full versions by any stretch of the imagination. If you have an Adobe CC subscription then everything you do in the apps is instantly cloud-accessible by the desktop software, but not the other way around.

I think @xabbess has an iPadPro and uses Affinity, but I’m not sure if she also uses the desktop version and/or how well they play together.

No idea on the F360 iPad app… didn’t even know it existed.

2 Likes

Ok back in track this I can answer. So I have the iPad Pro and was excited to see the fusion app. I opened it to find that it is a viewer only there is no model manipulation at all from the iPad. You can mark up your model and look at it but that’s it. If they’ve updated this to allow you to do modeling and I haven’t seen it please someone tell me I’m wrong because I’ve wanted to model on my iPad since day 1. Adobe I have as well but not for the desktop, but it is quite easy to use and you can cloud anything you draw in the app and pull it up in the software and run with it. I like the adobe stuff for drawing better than the other options I have I think the pens are cleaner but I’m also an engineer not an artist so don’t listen to me on artsy things.

2 Likes

Yes, we have a CC subscription, but I didn’t realize it was a one way street. That still may work for my purposes though.

And the kind of thing I was wondering about, but could not check for myself as I have no clue how to use it yet.

Thank you both.

1 Like

There’s a couple of 3D modeling apps but 1) as you mentioned you’re trying to not have to learn yet another program 2) they’re so clunky it’s not really worth bothering with. I tried autocad 360 for some 2D designing thinking that would be great for laser stuff and it’s pretty much worthless. I’d rather work on the computer to model

1 Like

I just tried drawing something in Adobe Draw on my phone and pushing it to the desktop where it opened automatically in Illustrator.

Some thoughts:

Draw does not have a Pathfinder pallet. If you draw two separate lines that cross over each other they will not be merged. You must do that on the desktop.

Pre-expanded: Draw does not use an “appearance on stroke”. The brushes are pre-expanded, so they work a little more like the “Blob Brush” and less like the “Paint Brush” on the desktop.

There is no stroke/fill selection. It seems to be all fills.

Editing the file which was pushed to the desktop and saving it does not push it back to the phone. The file was saved in “Application Support > Adobe > OOBE > PushToDesktop > D8829707…”

2 Likes

A different approach could be to use a remote access app to communicate with your desktop and do the work there. I used to use LogMeIn Pro before the price got so high. Now I use Splashtop to remotely access our two desktops as well as my mom’s computer in a different house. The price is very reasonable, free for LAN use and only about $18/year for remote access.

5 Likes

that might work too, though I’ll have to check with those that know more about that than me. I can remote in now from my ipad, but it automatically goes to our server, and not to MY desktop.

I will look into that. Thanks!

Being able to remote into your desktop and use the full version of Illustrator would be a neat trick. How does one deal with keyboard shortcuts, right clicks, or click-and-drag when using an iPad as a remote desktop? Onscreen softkeys? Multitouch? 3DTouch?
Pretty sure the apple pencil does not have buttons on it like the wacom styli do.

1 Like

I went all out on mine. Hey, it’s company money, why not. I have the large pro, pencil, AND a keyboard case. :smile:

2 Likes

Ha, keyboard case would certainly solve a lot!

You are very nicely set up to remote in. With Splashtop you install a client app on the desktop (with a password so people with access to your iPad don’t automatically have access to your desktop).

Good luck!

1 Like

There are gesture shortcuts you can use, but the keyboard would certainly help.

1 Like

I’ve used Splashtop to remote into my PC ( not really for drawing app usage), but it’s a decent program…

2 Likes