More than 10 referrals?

Managed to get one referral but have no clue as to who or how. Think I might have jokingly posted it somewhere. Didn’t want to put the big sell on my friiends. I live and work in the rural mountains of WV and a GF would be way outside the budgets of anyone I know. Back when I used to work near DC could have easily hit the 10 referral mark. Ah well, count my blessings that I was able to buy one.

2 Likes

Yeah thats a hard sell. I didnt market to any of my close personal friends either. I am a member of a number of maker communities, prop making forums, tech groups, and otherwise creative collectives that I did share with. As I was generally the first person to post on the topic of glowforge, they probably used my link more often, but we had a big share chain going on in a few places.

Sometimes you have to be first to reap the rewards

1 Like

Removing post, got someones code to try and help him.

Let me know if you get any Timothy!

Man, I have no idea how you guys got so many referrals! Well done! I’ve tried in a bunch of different places, with more than just a “use this link!”, and I had given up…until I woke up today and saw one person used it! Yay! I got one!! Haha! That encouraged me to go out and post it around again today. I don’t have much hope with it tho at this point, even tho there’s a flurry of sales with it being the last day today. To which I am having fun watching the numbers rise so fast!

And yes, it was a brilliant idea for the referral codes, it really got everyone advertising for them!

Well the conversion rate from potential customer to actual customer is about 1-5%, depending on your strategy and what you’re selling. If we take the lower number that means about 1 sale in 100 people. Since Glowforge sells itself almost, just people clicking the link is enough.

So you can imagine if your link is the top comment in an article read by hundreds, or thousands of people a day.

5% is really good by the way, and 0% is also a possibility.

The person above who (so far) has 49 referrals…sheesh! I wish my creative brain worked a little more like that! I think most of my posts got flagged as spam too. And I know I’m a terrible sales person…“oh, you don’t like my product, that’s ok, go check out my competitors, you might like theirs better!” That’s why I just make the stuff…keep me away from the customers :no_mouth:

1 Like

I’d say there’s people out there with more then 49 referrals :slight_smile:

EDIT: actually i’m 100% sure there is.

1 Like

you have no idea. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I’m not gonna think about that, and just be proud of myself that I got one!! Yay me! I’m not at zero!! :ghost:

1 Like

Yeah, for sure - I’ve seen people on major blogs slip theirs in, and you know that convinced people to order!

I’m super glad to see it being so successful. I mentioned this somewhere else, but the more people use it, the better for us in terms of support, materials, and designs.

1 Like

And I’m gonna like it every time you say it - cuz it’s 1,000% true. :smile:

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 72 hours unless flagged)

I somehow just made it to 10 referrals! With I think about 7 of them coming in during the last 24h… super stoked, I thought there was no way that I’d even make it up to 5 by today. Yay! :smile:

2 Likes

Woooo! Yeah, I find that people really seem to have been moved by the expiring pre-sale.

1 Like

Oh, for sure, and I won’t complain about that one bit! Now, I just have my fingers crossed that none of the referrals cancel their pre-orders for some silly reason. :smile:

1 Like

i had a reply via email from dan saying that if you have say 13 referrals and your first applied three drop out you still get $1000… so yeah…your extra referrals do count for something so its still worth helping convince other people to get on board. the more users, the better the ecosystem…and the more bargaining power GF have with manufacturers.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I got in a little late. I’ve not had the same luck recruiting new people. Not everyone shares in my excitement to get a GF. If anyone has too many and would like to help me out, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Can you please share your secret to receiving so many referral clicks. I need some money back from my expensive hobby also. :smile:

It was a lot easier when the mad preorder rush was happening but the usual advice applies from me. Create content and be helpful. People will use your code if you help them make a purchasing decision so create blog articles, youtube videos etc comparing options etc. answer reddit posts generate discussions on facebook etc. good luck!

Im still getting a couple trickling in here and there, but its nowhere close to what it was during the preorder rush. I posted a lot of my links with info/video about the glowforge in maker forums (woodworking, pepakura, prop making, laser cutting, cnc) etc. Basically in places where I hang out and talk to other makers, and where I know they would be highly interested in something like this. If you are part of any such communities, thats a great place to start.