More wood plants

I made some more plants. This time I got a tree, tulip, and a cactus.

I wanted to cover different types of terrains so it could reach people in different areas of the USA, for example people in Arizona would like the cactus one, etc. If you haven’t seen the Christmas tree one I’ve done that and an add your own plant version too that was my favorite one.

If you’d like to make any of them and support my design habit along with it the files can be found at: freshstartcustoms.com or etsy.com/shop/freshstartcustoms

28 Likes

Those look great! Love the tulip and the tree. After living in Arizona, I can’t stand cactus! :rofl:

3 Likes

Love that cactus! Nice work!

4 Likes

Lol I understand I use to live in Arizona too

3 Likes

I love cactus! Going to the saguaro nat’l forest is one of my favorite things to do every couple of years.

7 Likes

I liked doing that a lot. It does drive me nuts however to see it as so iconic it shows up in cartoons about the Middle East, when the real range is extremely limited even in N. American deserts.

I love the espalier.

3 Likes

We have a baby saguaro that our neighbor kids gave us when we moved. It was in a little 2" pot. It’s now in a 4" pot but still only about 6-8" high. We’ll be long dead and gone before it needs to be repotted. I did love driving through the saguaro forests around Roosevelt Lake, and we went to the Sonoran Desert Museum once. It was fun. I do think it’s funny when we see prickly pear cactus planted at some houses here in Tennessee. But they do grow here. I just don’t see why anyone would want to plant them! We moved here to get away from all the cactus! :rofl:

1 Like

There are cactus of that clade all over, We had some in our yard in Hawaii when I was about 3, with spines that were nearly invisible. Guess how I remember…

2 Likes

Ouch! They’re not as bad as the cholla though! There’s a reason those are called “jumping cactus!” Ocatilla also have very bad thornes. I think all cacti do. Heck, even aloe vera does!

2 Likes

Actually it was worse as the Cholla has very long spines that are impossibly thin at the tip, this was flat paddles with spots that I didn’t even know had spines like the last 1/8 inch of the jumping cholla, and did not even feel them immediately as I had great fun breaking the paddles off and watching them splash in the fish pond. It was only later that my hands felt like I was grabbing fire.

And Ocotillo has nothing on bougainvillea. Even in full leaf and flower, the spines are a strong warning. Bougainvillea is just gorgeous with bright flowers, and bright green leaves and it is only when you get close that it bites like a snake in a puppy outfit and like the cactus noted above sheds tiny fibers that stay in the wound after the tooth has been removed. Growing along a fence or wall is far more effective than the nastiest razor wire and all the time smiling sweetly.

1 Like

We have a saguaro in our front yard, that measured about 3’ tall in 2011 when we moved in. It’s now about 6’5”, but no arms yet.

2 Likes

3" a year is like a rocket for a Saguaro!

1 Like

According to the Sonoran Desert Museum, sagurros don’t start getting their arms until they’re about 100 years old. So I doubt you’ll see them on yours. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yeah, I know. But it still looks good!

2 Likes

Like planting a forest of Lignum Vitae trees so they could be harvested for wood after the trunks were more than 3’ in diameter. Very much worth doing, but even your species might not be around when the time came.

2 Likes