Mortise and Tenon joints

I am designing a timber frame structure and wanted to make a scale model. This is just a first test, but I cut out some 1/2"x1/2" pine “sticks” to make 1:16 scale 8x8s and made a jig to hold them in place in the glowforge bed. Then I cut out a sample mortise and a tenon on two pieces. Works pretty well! Now to figure out the rest of the joinery! Cuts through the pine were at 150/full power, 2 passes.

39 Likes

Very nice! (I did some early shallow ones using engraves but I like the cut through ones…would be a lot faster.)

7 Likes

Oh, please post when finished for sure. Timber frame will be my dream home. Nice work.

7 Likes

Pine and balsa (and other really lightweight woods) may be the only way to do this with solid beams at this scale. Nice idea.

5 Likes

Another great application I never would have thought of. Looking forward to the finished product.

3 Likes

Long pieces of 1/2" square maple may be hard to get but would be most excellent as it would stand up to the laser without burning into char and still be tough and strong.

You might want to wander down the Japanese building technique rabbit hole as they have an entire warren where we have a hole.

5 Likes

I love scale models! Can’t wait to see it finished.

3 Likes

This will be great when it is finished.

2 Likes