Mother’s Day gift

I have been having a lot of fun with my Glowforge! I can say, without any doubt, that I absolutely love it!

That said, with Mother’s Day coming up, I wanted to make something nice for my mother-in-law. I had been looking through the scroll saw designs by Steve Good after seeing the link posted on here. He has a lot of really neat designs. I found the pattern for a vase and thought it would be easy enough to make on my glowforge so I brought it into Inkscape, fixed it up so my glowforge could cut it out, and then imported it into the GFUI. No problem! Everything worked great.

However, there was a problem. The design was made for 1/4” thick wood. All I had was 1/8” proofgrade. We tried everything to get it glued together but there just wasn’t enough surface area on the edge of the 1/8” wood to adhere solidly. It just kept coming apart. Sigh!

Ok, so what else could I do? Finger joints! I popped back into Inkscape and added finger joints to the edges. A BIG thank you to Jules for the tutorial on adjusting kerf in Inkscape. It worked beautifully!! I recut the pieces with the added finger joints and it went together flawlessly. The joints are snug enough that I don’t need to glue it. I purposely left the base unglued from the top so my mother-in-law can pull it off and put an led candle if she wants. But, I did add another rectangle to the base that fits just inside the bottom edge of the top piece so it had something to hold onto.

Overall, I’m really happy with how it turned out and I learned a few things!

39 Likes

Wow, that’s beautiful! Love the shape! :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you!! Though, I can’t take credit for the design, I am really proud of myself for getting the finger joints right. :smiley:

3 Likes

I really love the design and implementation! That inspires me to give a try at something similar for my wife this weekend.

1 Like

Awesome! I’m so happy I was able to inspire you! :smiley:

1 Like

Ooooo, very nice design! I really like the non traditional box shape.

1 Like

Looks great.

And thanks for the heads up reminder. I just sent a kick to the youngins to pay attention --> Mother’s Day is happening…

1 Like

Kudos on your Inkscape edits! She will love it!

Thank you all so much! I am really enjoying my glowforge! :smiley: