Mothers day gift that is going viral at work or, How I got hooked on engraving

OK. Got it.

OK…was just getting ready to ‘bug’ this and uploaded my photo into the app again and now it looks like it should. I don’t get it. I’ll send to support anyway. Maybe it happens randomly or something?

4 Likes

Black in the photo looks magenta in the UI. Magenta-on-white looks right, magenta-on-black looks like it’s a negative. :slight_smile: Please bug, helpful for us to know what’s not working there!

(@Tony is working on some ideas to make preview better and less magenta, but those are still in the hopper)

10 Likes

Thanks…I did, right away.

2 Likes

As promised

, the back side:

11 Likes

Normally I am the last one to be impressed by my own work but this one I really like. Fortuitously the original was the wrong aspect ratio to do an 8x10, cropping would have cut out things that needed to remain so I took the elements that were going to go on the frame and put them right on the photo. I learned a lot of GIMP the hard way today but I am thrilled with the results. This is THREE hours of engraving and as big as the Glowforge will do. I wish I could get more detail in the face but overall this thing looks great.

26 Likes

Wow! That’s just gorgeous! Are you planning to frame it or mount it? :smiley:

3 Likes

Whoa-- what an awesome engrave!

3 Likes

It is getting wall mounts tomorrow.

4 Likes

That came out great!!! Worth the three hours!

4 Likes

That’s incredible!

5 Likes

Amazing!

4 Likes

I hear ya! Concept alone is a huge help for me![quote=“markevans36301, post:52, topic:7630”]
As promised
[/quote]

Very cool. Thanks for the share!

3 Likes

Just did this one as an experiment. Beach lighting makes a huge difference.

24 Likes

Love that one! (Really clear and sharp.) :relaxed:

3 Likes

Did you do anything special to the original photo in order to get such great results? :relaxed:

1 Like

I’m not a wizard, no, but I’ll often run one through a photo editor to clean up or brighten.
What you start with is the biggest thing. I’ve had to tell customers that this photo will not come out satisfactorily and they found better ones.

4 Likes

Awesome photo! I’m amazed at the result–didn’t know that was possible!

1 Like

I’m a bit late to the party but what Dan was hinting at above with the G/S conversion is that you can fine tune the contrast. Photoshop and Lightroom have 8 or 10 sliders for various colors. As you slide them back and forth you will see parts of the image change.

You can use this to really punch up the contrast for better engraving. While brightness and contrast will adjust the overall image, G/S conversion will let you focus on specific color ranges. With some practice it will make a much more dynamic image. A straight G/S conversion will look flat by comparison.

It is worth playing around with.

7 Likes

Of course a RAW file would be better than a JPEG but I don’t expect anybody to bring you one of those. :slight_smile:

3 Likes