Mouse Fix

I replaced a mouse a couple of years ago because the rubber grips on the sides had gone tacky. Well, my current mouse has started acting odd and I happened upon the old one. I noticed that the rubber grips can be peeled off. That makes the mouse good enough, but I have laser light! I can make it better!

I placed the rubber grips on a piece of tile and had the GF take a picture.

I have some 4" x 4" x 1/16" cork for coasters that have an adhesive backing. So, I had the GF cut those shapes form the cork. Shadows made the shapes a bit too large, but a little manual trimming with a sharp pair of scissors produced a pretty cool looking mouse.

Kind of reminds me of a station wagon we had when I was growing up. LOL. :rofl:

48 Likes

Your family had a “woody?” :grin:

7 Likes

Ahh yeah, we had a Ford Country Squire, it was awesome. You could fit everyone you knew in there.

Your laser project reminded me of one I did where I replaced the scales of a folding knife:

Gotta love these kinds of repairs. So satisfying.

21 Likes

I did the same for the mouse my ex uses with her iMac, but using cheap self-adhesive foam from a craft store. It’s held up well, much longer than whatever came on the original.

(I bought her a “magic mouse” but she never liked the feel of it as much as whatever she has used now for a decade or more…)

10 Likes
I hate that decaying rubber/plastic feeling.
9 Likes

Well, it was faux wood. :wink:

6 Likes

Absolutely! “Wait… I can cut that with the laser!”
I use my 3D printer for the same satisfying practical repair/redesign. A favorite practical cut was from back in '17, and @dwardio found himself without a wrench large enough for the job.

10 Likes

I spent a lot of travel hours laying in the back of that car.

6 Likes

I used one with my 09 i7 for a few years but certain AA batteries don’t fit right and I’m not in love with the super low profile. And the new ones with the stupid charge port on the bottom….I don’t hate it…like my watch, keep it charged so it won’t die while using.
Then again, I use a thumb trackball mouse I’ve had for 12 years now so…there’s that.

9 Likes

Funny you should mention 3D printed wrenches. I have a few of the blue plastic 55-gallon drums and I always put the plugs in as loose as I can because they are a pain to undo. I happen to run into a model for the wrench that works with those barrel plugs. I haven’t printed it yet, but it is on the list!

9 Likes

Wonderful practical cut!!

8 Likes

Exactly. So satisfying to make your own solution. Good one on that mouse too BTW. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I think it all went south when they started putting lasers instead of balls in the mice. A decent roller mouse will last forever. There’s almost nothing that goes wrong with one that a good cleaning of the rollers doesn’t fix.

4 Likes

Or the balls. Sometimes I miss the '90s. :wink:

7 Likes

We had 6 kids. My sister & I were relegated to the “way back” when going anywhere as a family.

8 Likes

My family had 2 of those- a dark green and then a light blue.

5 Likes

We came to Colorado from Arizona in a Ford Ranch wagon;

Our possessions filled the cargo area up to the windows, and I was lying on top of them. That damn thing overheated on Wolf Creek Pass, would stall and start rolling backward. Being a two-door with limited exits, that was the first time I stared death in the face. Not sure Ford ever made an uglier vehicle.

7 Likes

Great use of the trace feature!

6 Likes

Well done. That’s great!

4 Likes

Oh the memories…

9 Likes