Moving Grid thing/Thanksgiving Plans

In the past, parents in law did turkey and ham for Thankgiving.
I do fajitas for Christmas…lmao. The older kids voted one year and its been a tradition ever since.

5 Likes

I once looked at making composite decking based pallets that would scissor together and stack. The idea was to replace the insect attracting wood for purposes of import/export and provide a recycling of them when broken.

1 Like

Fajitas would be good for a change…but my mom (we call her “The Little General”) likes a traditional holiday.

So that’s what we do. :smile:

9 Likes

I’ve got a little sister like that. A few years ago one of my great nephews, I think he was 4 at the time, looked and my older sister and said “how come Aunty Judy always thinks she’s the boss?” She was just 14 when my mom died and loves to stick to tradition. She’s also the planner so we just go with it.

6 Likes

Meep…unfortunately, that would be me as well. :smile:

From the time I was about three years old, none of them (parents included) would ever make the move to hand out the Christmas gifts, or decide on what to get for lunch.

I used to just pick something up to stop the arguing about it. It got to be a habit. Now it’s funny, but it wasn’t back then.

I think we grow into our roles in the family.

3 Likes

This one is scratch home made. So, if it’s not right, it’s my fault. Wheat gluten flour is mixed with an equal part water and kneaded for 5 minutes. Put nutritional yeast (another delicious sounding ingredient), tamari, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, salt, sage, thyme, and water in a pot and bring it to a boil. Let it go 'till enough flavor gets into the seitan (all hail!). (Seitan is another name for wheat gluten.)

For me, it’s not about trying to recreate turkey. It’s about fitting into the flavor profiles of the holiday. Can’t stand turkey. Hope you enjoy yours, though!

2 Likes

I’ve got everything on hand except the tamari…might have to give it a try one of these days.

(I don’t eat a heavy meat diet, but hubs does…on holidays I try to satisfy his cravings.)

1 Like

Mother in law is arriving late this evening, because it’s so much easier to travel today. So we will be doing the bird tomorrow. On the list for today is putting it in a bag and brining. (And finishing the debug of the 11-year-old’s bday present, which is due sunday)

3 Likes

Erggghhhh…time to go keep hubby busy. (He just came back inside and he does not handle boredom well.) Chuckle! :laughing:

1 Like

It’s hard for me to remember when thanksgiving is, as an immigrant to Canada. On the plus side, I get to eat two turkeys…

4 Likes

Sorry for slow connection issues, but this just made me laugh!

5 Likes

Never been my fave, either. Although, the men in my family don’t watch sporting events, they still don’t do a lick of the work to promote the feast. I claim responsibility as an enabler for not making them help years ago. That’s OK…nothing lasts forever! :smirk:

4 Likes

Hospital Thanksgiving. Mom got the white meat and I got dark meat. She’s doing well in rehab.

30 Likes

Looks a lot like mine. The cafeteria here at the hospital gives a free meal to employees working on Thanksgiving and Christmas.Not much but it’s something… Hope you are enjoying your time with your mom.

10 Likes

You’re a good son. She’s a very lucky lady, and she did a good job. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Glad to hear she’s doing well!

6 Likes

We do not celebrate Thanksgiving but I’m going to have chicken dinner, just because I feel the holiday in the forum. :blush:

Happy Thanksgiving :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Most of the fun for us at Thanksgiving is cooking the meal together.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. Around our house the cooking is half the fun. My two boys love doing it.

3 Likes

Here too. I do the turkeys & the vegan stuffing (and I don’t even eat vegan). One son’s girlfriend does the pies & bread (she’s a baker), the other’s takes care of salads. One son takes care of meat substitute (saiten patties) and vegan gravy (veg broth, wine, mushrooms, more wine). Daughter makes a dessert. Wife makes the mainstream coleslaw, vegetables, potatoes, real gravy, sausage stuffing and all the traditional non-vegan/non-vegetarian sides. Everyone takes care of cleaning - we do it in waves because it would be insurmountable otherwise.

Growing up my mother did all the work and everyone else just jabbered and ended up arguing & fighting. Seems like keeping everyone involved also keeps them occupied so there aren’t any arguments :slight_smile:

This year was a bit tough on the bird maker - it started raining/sleeting just after I put the birds in the brick oven :frowning: I really should have built it closer to the deck. :slight_smile:

13 Likes