Much better box

You are seeing and will see a lot of boxes and trays from me because that is what I am working on right now, personal infrastructure.

I got the plans for this from Laser cut wood - CARTONUS

Somehow, the kerf is perfect for the box joints on the drawers but a bit tight for the main box. If I make another one I will adjust for that.

I have not installed the pulls for the bottom three drawers yet but I could not wait to share.

Be aware if you want to build on for yourself that it burns through a LOT fo Proofgrade.

70 Likes

Looking good! One nice touch on their design is that each of the 6 drawers’ pulls have 1-6 holes – perfect for keeping them in order.

14 Likes

Yup, simple to implement but adds a lot to the design.

8 Likes

Gosh, that is a nice box! How smooth is the drawer movement?

6 Likes

:heart_eyes: that is an awesome box!

I made my first attempt at designing/cutting a very simple box last week and it was embarrassing how many tries it took to get it right(ish) :joy:

9 Likes

That looks like something I could use too - got so many little things to try to sort. Great job on it! :smiley:

4 Likes

This is pretty much the kind of thing I’ll be doing at first, except I plan to do my own designs. Is that design parametric?

2 Likes

I want one of those for all my sandpapers and a place for my glass lapping plates. Ok I may need more than one of them.
Thanks for the post @markevans36301

5 Likes

That looks fantastic! Customized storage rocks.
One thing to think about is an option to prevent the drawers from coming out all the way, maybe little notch or something that can make sure it gets stuck within the last inch from getting pulled out (some drawers I like to get out all the ways, other will cause a mess if they come out and drop all the contents :slight_smile:)

4 Likes

Ooh, you could zap a spring catch into the back of the the drawer sides. Something like this, only with the dimensions and aspect ratio right:

11 Likes

Fantastic job !!! looks great - are the drawers “open” or compartments inside (dividers). I’d like to do a similar however would probably use Proofgrade® for exterior surfaces and other substrate for the drawer sides and bottom…

5 Likes

Sadly, no. A very nice design but one size and one material. I really look forward to the day I’ve done something like this that is fully parametric.

1 Like

This thing is designed with tight tolerance. Removing the paper actually made a difference! It has a couple of bumps that I think will fix themselves in use. If not I’ll break out some sandpaper.

3 Likes

ooh… boxes… they always have a draw for me. Something about that
craving to organize things better, and combining that with making
something… well it’s just dreamy. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

This also allows one to make the drawers a bit looser, so they slide more easily, while still being sure that they won’t fall out.

2 Likes

Really like this design, already have plenty of ideas of what to keep in this nice little box! Should be easy to create dividers inside the drawers as well.

2 Likes

Nothing worse wiggling a tight drawer that ends up flying out in then end…

2 Likes

Give the drawer edges a couple of strokes with a bar of soap or paraffin to ease wood on wood drag.

12 Likes

Oh man, it’s killing me! This is exactly the stuff I want to be making right now.
Looks great!!!

1 Like

do you also have a special secret love for shopping at staples

1 Like