Multi-box shipping

just pointing out that this wildly oversimplifies sw development

3 Likes

Trampoline with enclosure. 2 boxes, each less than 10# from the freight limit. Bowflex, 5 or more boxes, depending on version, at least 2 only 1-2# under freight limit.

No and that would be alright if there werenā€™t videos of Dan saying the machine did these things two years ago.

I donā€™t how you are sure the hardware can do everything when none of them have been demoed.

Can it really do 3D autofocus in real time when the intelligence is in the cloud?
How accurately can it do passthrough and double sided alignment?
How accurately can it 3D engrave?

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the current production machines still donā€™t have the full build area enabled, donā€™t have 3D engraving enabled yet, still donā€™t have low power enabled and still over score in corners.

I would normally believe it when somebody says they can do these things but this company has never been honest, so I struggle to believe anything they say without evidence.

1 Like

Oversimplify, true, but what it boils down to. They are working on the coding for those features constantly. When complete, it would require testing like crazy, then updating the server. Because of the way Glowforge works, nothing would need to be done with the units to add those functionalities. They are features of the software with the machine already capable.

sure but i mean - and iā€™m honestly not trying to say anything here - thereā€™s no real proof that theyā€™ll ever get it working. parameters change as time goes on and people better understand the limitations of a product. so saying ā€œitā€™s ok, theyā€™ll update it laterā€ is nice, but itā€™s not something that should be relied on.

edit: whatever ā€œitā€ is, anyway, iā€™m speaking generally

I donā€™t have the current list of active features. There was a 3D engrave example in the update (seems proof it can do it, as well as PRU examples in forums), as well as an expected completion date for automatic passthrough alignment, with manual alignment currently available. MPAF, I donā€™t know. I know PRU had it turned off. I donā€™t know how much of that was development still or what They do include, when you accept your Glowforge, a list of what features are currently active and which ones are still being finished. I havenā€™t received an email, though dan did post a copy of the PRU email (pages of detail) in the forums.

Reading the update, though, it looks like the projection is all Pro features completed software side before order shipping is completed, and the hardware is already able to do it all. The list of abandoned features previously promised is something like 0 items long.

True, promised future updates with a grain (or few bags) of salt. They had to modify slightly on the usable space in the bed when hardware limitations came into play for speed and power, and to accommodate them. So far as we have seen, the features not yet released have not been stymied by hardware limitations, but simply the completion of the software. Coding it may be tricky, but the parameters are pretty well set now for what they are trying to do, and the hardware is capable. That pretty much limits to just the time to get it completed properly, not an ā€˜ifā€™ it will get done.

There have been a few examples of beautiful 3D engraving.

From Danā€™s posts I know that a high degree of engineering went into the shipping packaging. I suspect added weight would have exceeded the box and foam ability to absorb abuse.

1 Like

I would certainly hope so. Packaging is the #1 factor in the condition of your delivered goods. Iā€™ve seen packaging where you could top-load metal and it would be destroyed. On the other end, Iā€™ve seen packaging where you could be throwing vases and not cause any damage. The engineering for shipping is frequently as intense as the engineering for the product itself.

1 Like

I am not interested in beauty. I am interested in the accuracy of making geometric 3D forms.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ve seen high end furniture dinged because the company wanted to save a few dollars per unit, and ended up costing them magnitudes more.
The other end is packaging that is so good you feel guilt throwing it away.

1 Like

As far as I am concerned these are synonymous.

4 Likes

one would hope a significant amount of engineering went into the packaging with a replacement box cost like that :smiley:

2 Likes

So, basically, you want gnatā€™s ass accurate 3D milling without a mill or WireEDM.

The Glowforge was NEVER advertised as such regarding 3D engraving features.

As long as the software relies on grayscale image information to set depth instead of true CAD data, it will NEVER happen. This is an Art tool.

You are moving the goalpost so you can remain perpetually dissatisfied.

4 Likes

10 . 3D high-res engraving

Engrave complex, three dimensional curves with 1,000 DPI resolution. To get perfect detail and sculpt with real depth, Glowforge can carve away material with multiple passes, each one focusing more deeply than the last.

1 Like

That says absolutely nothing regarding accurate dimensional abilities.

It does state ā€œsculptā€ which should be a hint theyā€™re not talking about CAD data precision here.

Although I do agree that would be an awesome feature to have, I would flip out over having that capability, they never advertised it.

2 Likes

I am glad someone else said it first.

4 Likes

I donā€™t see how quoting the advertising is moving the goal posts. It was sold as a 3D laser printer with 1000 DPI resolution and three months delivery. It turns out to be something completely different. Of course I am disappointed.

1 Like

Expected 3 month delivery, and they should have changed the shipping expectation information on the sale page, absolutely. Still, the purchase terms and conditions did make abundantly clear that the shipping expectation was only an estimate and potentially subject to change, even unannounced changes. Dislike, maybe, but it is no deception.

As for the 1000DPI resolution, so far as I know, it has it, at least on the Y-axis. For the laser printer, 3D, it technically is. Laser? Check. 3D? Absolutely. Printer? In negative space, yes.

3 Likes

Yes so if somebody tells you three months delivery do you imagine that might be two years? Maybe for a crowdfunded development but not for a pre order. And nobody at Glowforge could have possibly thought it would be in production in three months. Try reading all the previous updates knowing what we know now. You see how entirely unbelievable they are.