Multitasking while Glowforging?

Mostly silly curiosity. Do you guys multitask while your glow forge is running? So far most of my projects are under 8 minute and I find myself still watching it for over half the time. So, I don’t tend to get much else done. Curious what the rest of y’all do.

I did fold laundry once though.

9 Likes

Uhhhhh…yes. Usually half a dozen things simultaneously. Laundry ranks high on the list. (Eventually you get over the need to watch it do it’s thing. ) :smile:

9 Likes

Officially, you’re supposed to watch it.

Unofficially, after some time, you get the hang of which materials or settings can be trusted to run unattended. There are some, however, that you can never leave alone.

13 Likes

I tidy the tables and shelves, but mostly watch the Glowforge.

8 Likes

Yup, after you get where you can look away you go on with stuff. I stay in the room but get back to whatever on the PC or working with the parts that have already come out. How often I glance over depends on how flammable a material has proven to be. Never let corrugated cardboard go without looking at it every 30 seconds or so.

12 Likes

Usually prepping another file or peeling some masking sitting next the GF while it runs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

When one project is in the Laser I’m working on a second (or third) woodworking project in the shop where the GF is.

9 Likes

I have my CNC, two 3D printers, and the Glowforge going at the same time often. Most of the time I am prepping other files. If not, I am catching up on the forum. And drinking beer. That’s often the other task I am engaged in.

14 Likes

I usually get the next file ready and uploaded if I’m not repeating the current cut. And as @eflyguy said I know which cuts to trust alone for a little bit (I never leave my felt cuts alone). So usually for the really long ones I’m doing household chores or playing with the kids. If it is super short, it’s usually just sitting there peeling tape or setting up the next file. Prep work kind of stuff.

7 Likes

My lathe is only about three feet from my Glowforge so I can keep an eye on what’s being cut or engraved while I’m turning a pen.

8 Likes

Multitask here–either back to my computer working on new designs, or at my work table & sewing machines in the same room, bathroom break, or other chores–usually still within earshot of the machine. But if a new job on new material, I’ll hover & watch, at least the beginning.

6 Likes

Like most everyone else, I’ve been at this long enough now that I know what materials I feel comfortable enough with to give minimal attention. I usually sit at my computer in a separate room working on other stuff, but I use my little Wyze camera right next to me on the desk to check on the Glowforge when it’s running. Also, the UI is open on my desktop machine, so I could instantly hit the cancel button if I saw trouble.

6 Likes

Usually sit right next to it, having moved my laptop with me. So, I’ll be catching up on the forum, reading the news, prep files, weeding and eating potato chips if I’m snackish…

8 Likes

This^ is my weak spot. :grimacing:

6 Likes

I jog in a loop around my house, stopping in at the 'forge between laps.

8 Likes

Hmmm, that is what I should be doing,

6 Likes

I’m with @Jules, forge time is the best time to do my least favorite tasks like laundry folding and mopping around the floor of the room the forge is in.

The one upshot of a TINY apartment is that I’m kinda always watching the forge.

6 Likes

a blend of working on electronics or designing the next part to be forged. all done standing a few feet from the forge. the best thing I ever did wrt the forge was to buy an external fan so that I could cut down on the noise.

3 Likes

So true! I just hooked up an external fan this weekend and the decrease in noise level is AMAZING. Now to get all the little gaps at the connections taped over. . .

2 Likes

I’ll actually stay inside my project but start designing another small project in the same window while I’m waiting for the first one to print.

1 Like