My dream: Remote

You forgot:

10. Profit!
1 Like

Here’s another use-case scenario.

computer is across the room (or even one room over) from Glowforge. User has set up cameras and such to be able to remotely watch the GF from their computer as it runs. A number of people will place material on the bed before turning on the GF, or just after the initial Calibration. This individual can then go back to their computer, eventually select all the software “stuff” required to get the job ready to go and then hit print. For the sake of efficiency I can definitely see this person wanting a remote to start the job and then continue to “design” the next job while monitoring their GF via camera.

It’s not whether it is “too hard” to go over and hit the button, it’s a matter of efficiency and conservation of movement.

4 Likes

Button robot?

2 Likes

that would work too. I think the desire is simply any way to cut out one of the steps to get up and walk to the GF.

My personal situation has the GF directly next to my computer, so really no issues for me. I use my rolling chair to zip around to collect the materials, and really only need to stand up to load the material, and unload it. I can just lean back in my chair to hit the button.

Actually, it’s easier than that for me. My 3yr old daughter LOVES to push the button for me. :smiley:

5 Likes

Considering there is a camera on the lid already, it would be pretty awesome if the iPhone Glowforge app would live stream video from the Glowforge. Theoretically, you could be eating dinner with family (in the same house as the Glowforge, but a different part of the house) and have your phone on the side acting as a baby monitor for your Glowforge. If you see something sketchy, you can run over OR hit a cancel button in the app to turn off the laser.

Just a thought.

3 Likes

I have a number of 3d printers and use an app called “octoprint” that runs on a Raspberry Pi, which basically does monitoring and allows you to take remote control of the printer. It uses a webcam to monitor the printer. It would be fairly easy to use Octoprint and a web cam to monitor the Glow Forge, you would just have to figure out a good way to mount the camera so it can see what is going on. The downside is that it wouldn’t be easy to stop it if there was a problem. (Octoprint connects to the printers USB port and allows you to issue commands over an API). I am not sure if Glow Forge has any kind of API that is available, but if so it wouldn’t be too difficult to connect and call that if you see a problem.

Can you get a fire control robot with that?

1 Like

I’m in the remote start camp, but fire spreads fast. The glowforge case seems very capable in containing a fire so that’s a plus for them. So you need two button pushing robots - the second for the fire suppression system.

2 Likes

I used OBS Studio for quite a while for camera monitoring, but now I use an Octoprint installation for monitoring so I don’t have to get up from the desk. The camera is back and forth on either the Creality or the Glowforge.

I am amazed at how productive I got once I started using Octoprint. I keep neglecting to contribute on Patreon, but I do owe the developer for her work!

2 Likes

There’s a fun automatic fire suppressor that my buddy uses above his shapeoko. They’re called “fire balls”.

https://www.amazon.com/Extinguisher-Suppression-Device-Safety-Product/dp/B01JVXFQ6E/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1538146003&sr=1-4&keywords=afo+fireball

It works like a firecracker, you hang it above the thing what might make fire, it catches and explodes, smothering the fire.

Last resort, sure, but if it’s your GF or your house/life, it’s a pretty simple choice.

6 Likes

So, what about the alternate step 7B: excess flames/smoke DO occur. Can you get there quickly enough to smother it before it fills the room with smoke/scorches your lens, burns down the GF, or worse?

I’m with @snoopendous on this one.

First, my 'forge is in direct eyeshot of the location where I do most of my work. It’s in a rather poorly lit corner, and when it’s running, I can see (and note) the changes in sound and light.

I haven’t lit anything off (yet) but I’d know, and I’d drag my tired old self up pretty fast to take care of it.

Second, on ‘known quantity’ materials like Proof-grade, I don’t watch nearly as close as I do for the occasional foray into ‘what will THIS do?’. I mean, seriously - an etch of a good-sized photo is a lot of time to be watching the little head go back and forth, enthralling though it might be.

Third, try as I might, I can’t train ANY of the six cats to go push the stupid button .

I’m looking at that remote button option myself.

2 Likes

I notice a lot of watch the Glowforge closely to make sure it doesn’t burn but not a lot of watch through safety glasses only if appropriate

Unless you’re running a pro with the pass through doors open, glasses are unnecessary. They don’t even come with the basic.

1 Like

I can. I’m also not using any particularly flammable materials while I’m on crutches. If I do anything worrisome, I have a stool beside the GF I can sit on to babysit.

1 Like

You are thinking about this in the wrong direction. What you need is a remote mouse!

I have a wireless mouse - i take it with me to the GF after setting up the design. Once the material is scanned all I have to do is click on print with the mouse. Wait, then press the big button.

You do need to see the screen of course…

1 Like

ROFLMAO :joy:

[Yes Discourse. That is an almost complete sentence abbreviated.]

1 Like

Huh. If I can find the right angle for the door of the former closet the GF lives in, that could work. I’ll give it a try!

What an awesome idea! Great last ditch solution before house goes up. Probably not good for the forge though. Spent a lot of money on that halon extinguisher, but if it’s the forge or the house…

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.