I am not really sure what the line for having this moved. :-/
The general process was that I took a circle svg and an svg of something I thought would be fun, and sized them to what I wanted. I then tried out different settings until I achieved an engraving depth of slightly less than the veneer’s thickness I was using as an inlay.
The next step is to make the inlay itself. I converted the engrave to a cut, ignored the circle, and loaded in the veneer I wanted to use as an inlay. I recommend laying down some proofgrade material scrap to keep it from blowing around.
Applying the inlay - I simply smeared wood glue in the engraving and then worked the inlay into it. I used a rounded over bit of wood and leather to work the inlay in as well as tweezers and my hand.
The last part was the finish work. All I did was sand the entire surface with 220 grit until it was smooth to the touch and glue/dent free. I did a light “natural” colored stain and the used spray polyurethane. I think I did 3 coats, a light sand, and then a final coat.
Here is a closer up image!
I do want to really note that all I did was experiment, note in the first picture how many did not work. Also, I was not gentle either, I broke the inlays, but it did not seem to matter as long as I did not lose the parts. I also put a lot of dents while setting the inlay, but that was removed by sanding.