My first attempt at a box - a horizontal pen holder

I just received my Glowforge last week. So far, I had been making Christmas ornaments, but my wife needed something to hold her Stampin’ Up blending pens, which must be stored on their sides. I used the “Tabbed Box Maker” add-in to Inkscape to design a box with an inside dimension of 176 x 160 x 118 mm and seven dividers along the length axis and seven dividers along the width axis. This gave 64 cells that are just the right size to allow the pens to go in and out easily. I used the 1/8" Baltic birch plywood from Amazon with the default settings for Proofgrade cherry plywood to cut. In Tabbed Box Maker, I set the thickness to 4.00 mm and the kerf to 0.22 mm. The dividers were keyed to the walls. All of the tabs were very snug fits. I had to use a mallet to coax the pieces together. All in all, it was pretty successful. I would post photos, but I think I am too new - the option does not appear.

11 Likes

You can just drag and drop the photo – even new people can. This section actually requires a photo in the top post, IIRC. :wink:

2 Likes

Also, welcome!

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. Here it is:

32 Likes

Nice job!

1 Like

Welcome. Nice project. Happy wife happy life.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and nice work on the pen holder.

4 Likes

I have a design that is similar to this. It was only as I made the 20th unit that I realised that all the inner strips don’t need to be super tight and that if you make the tabs smaller/holes bigger for the inner strips it all goes together much easier.

I can’t see, but it looks like the the horizontals slot into the verticals as well. What I’ve also found with those is that if you make the slot wider at the top it makes it easier to slot in, but still grips at the bottom _/ shaped

3 Likes

Here it is fully loaded.

18 Likes

Pretty. Like a grown up’s new box of crayons before school starts in the fall.

11 Likes

Wicked kewl design,
everything in it’s place and a place for everything.
:upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Nice first effort, and a practical cut. I’ll bet your wife is pleased.

5 Likes

Welcome! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Great project, and I know your wife must love it!

I tried to wait for the arrival of my Glowforge to make a rack for my Copics. Alas, I finally had to purchase one. I have used it for quite a few other storage needs though. :grinning:

1 Like

That just looks so…cool? I love the symmetry of all the cubes. Great job!

2 Likes

Awesome!
I love the opportunities for custom, perfect-fit storage boxes, that using a laser to make these things provides.

2 Likes

This looks great. i used a similar design with the openings at the top to organize my sock drawer:-) My husband thinks i’m crazy! :joy:

5 Likes

That is wonderful :0

2 Likes