My first Laser tile

I just got my LaserTile today and gave it a quick try. On my Pro I get gorgeous solid blacks at speed 1000, power 100, focus height 0.290. I did this one at 340 lines per inch and it looks great, but I think I might score the path next time to give it a crisper edge. (Bumping it up to 1355 LPI would probably also get the job done, but I don’t want to think about how many hours that would take! Scoring the outline will probably be just as good and much, much faster.)

This is the 4.25"×4.25" tile in case it makes any difference.

21 Likes

That looks pretty crisp from here!

How long did that taske t o print, @tim1724?

1 Like

2 Likes

Whereas this one

only takes

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

And now I’ve reached the point where I really wish Glowforge supported clipping paths. Anyone have any idea how to make an SVG equivalent to this but without using clipping paths? This would be center of the triptych.

HMC tile lines.svg.zip (3.3 KB)

(Zipped because Discourse was mangling it.)

Did you want the U and the O to have the lines running across them?

It should look like this. (This is how Safari renders it (unless it’s in Discourse) which is the same as how Affinity Designer showed it.)

There are a couple of weird things in the file in AI…give me another minute or two.

Probably the same fill rule problem discussed here. I think Illustrator has similar issues as Glowforge.

Try this one: MUDD 2.zip (12.5 KB)

As far as the clipping paths goes, i thought I saw somewhere that that had been fixed, but the original file you loaded still showed them.

I just did a path division and deleted the segments inside the text.

1 Like

Oh wow, thank you so much! That will save me a ton of work. I still need to figure out how to do it myself, though, at least until GF supports them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was adding the explanation in an edit while you were typing. I divided the lines where they intersected and got rid of the ones that I didn’t need.

Looks like I might have missed a couple of duplicate bits when I was deleting in the corners - just set the top bits to Ignore.

edit: link removed

Ok. That’s kind of painful to do in AD at the moment, as it’s lacking most tools for cutting paths that way. :frowning: (The only way to do it that I’ve seen is to use the node tool, zoom way in, and manually create a node at each intersection and click the break path button.)

I might have to take the time to learn how to do it in Inkscape.

1 Like

The warning has only popped up about twice lately…but you can now disregard the clip path. Just ignore it and do the image engrave. I’ve now done it several times and it works just great. Seems they never announced it, but it’s sure working now.

edit; also to Jules, too…I think it was me that mentioned clip paths in my post about ‘musing’.

1 Like

No, clipping paths still don’t do anything useful. The warning can be ignored if you’re not trying to use clip paths and you just have some extra rectangle around an image to engrave or whatever, but in this case I was trying to use clip paths to do clever things with vectors. Clever things that GF can’t so yet. :cry:

1 Like

I tried to convince Affinity Designer’s path combining tools to do the right thing, but they’re quite obstinate. It’s easy (ish) in Illustrator. Would you mind if I used this as an example for a tutorial video?

1 Like

I’d like to see one if you put it together…it turns out to be a lot harder than it looks, because AI is closing the paths and doubling lines with the automatic processing. (We took the conversation off the boards and wound up having to do several iterations to get something that worked. He just wants all lines scored except for the cut line, and not duplicated through overlay anywhere.)

By the way @tim1724 , you might have already gone to bed by the time I posted up the last one…try version 4 …that one should create the effect you want without duplicating anything anywhere.

Go for it!

Really wasn’t thinking they might be useful, but just that for people like me, who are not so versed yet in design software, at least we can now ignore them rather than have to go back and rethink everything we put together.

1 Like