My first paying customer!

We recently hired a company to replace the rickety old fence in our backyard. They did a great job and we couldn’t be happier with the end-result. Before they left, they asked if we had any use for the cedar scraps. I happily accepted the remnants and quickly threw a piece into my Glowforge and engraved their logo.

The owner of the company called me up that evening, thanking me for the sign. He shared that he had always wanted to install signs on each of his fences, but that he was never happy with the metallic signs that his competitors use and that he could easily buy online. He then asked if I would be willing to sell him additional signs. Fast forward a couple of weeks, and I now have my first paying customer - all because I chose to express my gratitude through a Glowforge project!

If you live in Seattle and are looking for a nice wooden fence, I highly recommend West Seattle Fence. They have installed a couple of fences for us over the years and are a pleasure to work with.

Here is the first sign that I made for them:

44 Likes

That’s totally cool. A good way to prospect for business in future but a great way of showing appreciation for a job well done.

4 Likes

AND their sign goes well with their work. Blends right in on some out of the way corner.
Looks like a great partnership and continuous sales.

I seem to be making money also - and not even trying for that.

Things I have given away, appear to garner ‘Me Too’ requests from others. (The old AOL me too, not the current flavor).

So sure. Pays for the materials in the origin as well as the sold one and still have profits.

Amazing machine and technology.

7 Likes

What a thoughtful thing for you to do! SWEET that it worked into a profit!

2 Likes

What a great idea! A cedar sign would look much less intrusive on a cedar fence.

2 Likes

Presumably smells a lot better than engraving acrylic, too.

3 Likes

cedar engraves so nicely

1 Like