I decided to make something complex for my first project as I am the kind of person that learns from getting into the weeds. I found a picture I liked on Pinterest from Breath of the Wild that I then worked on in my iPad and traced out the specific layers/details. I use sketchbook with my apple pencil to get the out lines I wanted.
From there I worked in Inkscape and traced the layers to bitmap and made them all individual colors. I printed each layer on Proofgrade Maple ply and used a watered-down paint to paint/stain the layers.
I then wood glued the pieces together. One thing I learned very quickly was that I should leave the mask on the acrylic as long as possible. I do have polish and scratch removed that I applied right before putting it all together, so that helped. I also learned that its super easy to color acrylic etching when you leave the mask on!
I took the entire piece to the belt sander to clean up the edges then made a frame our of PG Maple Ply. All together this build taught me a ton. How to use Inkscape, how to properly distinguish the order of operations, and how lasers are CRAZY ACCURATE.
I am so proud of how this thing turned out and I cannot wait to try some more.