My Glowforge sang to me!

I just happened to be cutting shapes in acrylic and discovered my unit could sing.

I’m in the process of making drop spindles with cool designs and mixed media; wood/acrylic, wood/metal [I’ll cut metal with a different process, ie a good jewelers saw], etc. I am going to cut the exact same shapes from various material and have them play nice together. Acrylic just happened to be the first.

It was when the motors moved the head to this design,
Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 7.03.49 PM

that the motors generated rythmic and melodic series of notes. The notes seemed to be a repeating series, but quickly changed in small ways. Changes included the rhythm of the notes; the sequence the notes were played; and eventually the tempo

I can’t wait to do this in wood. I’m pretty sure it will sing again since it’s all in the noise of the hardware. Has anyone else has experienced this?

Or, am I just late to the party? :rofl:

13 Likes

Yes, and there are many more wonderful things to discover as well.

7 Likes

stepper motors in cnc-type devices do indeed “sing”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep. I enjoy that part!

2 Likes

Some truly obsessive musician who is also an obsessive Glowforge owner should put this to music. Make a music video, maybe?

10 Likes

The electric colliape! Human ingenuity has no end !

1 Like

I routinely “watch” the Glowforge by sound to know in what part of the cutting it is without looking.

2 Likes

Thank you for that! I laughed so hard I cried. What a great way to start the day.

1 Like

I did some experimenting to find the frequencies for different angle of cut with intent to get it to play a simple tune (Imperial death march), but nothing about the movement was linear (I used Audacity and FFT.) It became so tedious, I abandoned it.

5 Likes

I don’t have fancy music equipment, or the desire to collect more $ equipment (it’s a rabbit hole I fall into easily). But I would like to record mine as a meditative few minutes of peace when I’m getting stressed out. Maybe record on my iPad and upload to my iMac?

That is so great!!!

me too

I see your floppotron and raise you some tesla coils:

Previously.

3 Likes

One year at Burning Man they had an even bigger coil hooked up to a synthesizer so that people people could come and play music on the coil. I’m sure it has been there more than once but I’ve only seen it that one time.

Ah, here it is. Not a great video but you get the idea.

It looks like they upgraded it the following year.

2 Likes

You’re not the only one, and better late to the party than never C:

https://community.glowforge.com/t/what-did-you-name-your-machine/50385/32?u=crkjelstrom

1 Like

I’ve toyed with getting one of these.

Joytech Music Tesla Coil DIY Kit Arc Plasma Loudspeaker Wireless Transmission Experiment Desktop Toy Model YS11 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0813BYW7B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6YYtFb9YZ6FD1

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.