My laser stopped cutting

Ive had the GF for only a week and have been working with it every day since then. i had a piece of slightly bowing plywood, so i went to make some gf pins and it wouldnt cut through the PG draftboard. it is currently engraving just fine but wont cut and i dont want to waste material. I have cleaned it as per the support page, it then cut 3 out of 4 pins and went back to not cutting through? any thoughts?

Yeah, the material has to be flat or the focus will be off. So warping wood is going to not cut through, more often than not. (Even the proofgrade needs to be pinned sometimes.)

If you do not shift the material and just send the Cut part of the print a second time, it will cut in the same place and finish the cut. (You can set the Engrave part to Ignore in the thumbnail column.)

It isn’t even cutting through proofgrade not warped I just recleaned, reset my router and modem and computer

The draftboard can also swell a little due to humidity. It’s just good practice to check something to see if it has cut completely through without shifting the material on the bed. (I always pin it down to start with, and lift out the cutout with a pick or some tape…if it doesn’t lift, I’ll send a second cut.)

If you want to keep from wasting material, get into the habit of doing this from the start, then it just becomes part of your workflow.

Alternatively, if you know that the material is thicker than expected, you can set up your own settings for that material in the Custom Materials section. By slowing the speed down by about 10 points, it will almost always let you cut through in one pass. It leaves a wider kerf, which is not always acceptable, so that’s why the defaults don’t use the slower speed. But for those of us who live in high humidity areas, it gives us a quick way to get through swelled wood.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag! I’d like to perform a simple test to ensure that your Glowforge is performing within specification. Could you please do the following?

1.Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on

2.We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.

3.Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.

4,When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.

5.Check the completed print:

If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut, please let us know the date and time of the print

If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you saw the issue with, and let us know the results.

If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print.

Once we can review this print, I’ll send over the next best steps.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.