My Layered Mandalas

My first layered mandalas. I have a third in the works, but thought I’d share. You can thank @evansd2 for getting me on this. Looking at the pics, I need to do a better job aligning and gluing these up. I like these a lot.

48 Likes

Dang it! I had been working on one off and on for a month or so before everything that we have been doing lately hit…you guys are just making me cry…I know I’ll never finish it.

What the heck…I’ll just buy one. Great job on it. :smile:

7 Likes

Pretty! Did you use cardstock or did you paint/dye the wood?

2 Likes

I stained the wood.

2 Likes

Couple of questions?
How big is it? How many layers? And how much does it weigh? (I was going to put one together that was fairly large for the mantle - about 30" x 18", but i was afraid it would wind up being too heavy.)

1 Like

Very beautiful.

3 Likes

Both of these are 10.88" tall, which is about as big as I can make it without using the pass through slot

3 Likes

The round one is six layers and the rectangle one is eight layers.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks! (Definitely need to scale mine back. They look so much more complex than 8 layers.)

1 Like

So pretty!!

2 Likes

Yes, the alignment and glue up is horrible! You kiddn’? Those are incredible. As a mirgraine sufferer in the past, I do not think I could build one of those without getting a blinding headache.

3 Likes

It’s a snap with registration pins. I keep some 2" long 1/16" diameter brass rods/pins on my workbench, align them with holes I add to each layer of the design except the top layer, which conceals the holes.

I glue it all up except for the top, remove the pins so I can use them on future projects, then glue the top layer by hand alignment. Works really well.

7 Likes

I used brass pins, but not on the top 2layers.

Well, you got good results! And the colors on that second one, nice choices.

1 Like

they seem like they are mostly air. might not be as heavy as you fear.

2 Likes

Thanks. Just trying different color options, as they all seem to work well once put together. I kind of like the wood colored stains with a little pop of color, but the one with los of color is appealing too. I have a 3rd in the works with even more colors, so we’ll see.

That is amazing!!! I love how intricate it is. Darnit! Now I want to make one!!!

3 Likes

They look great!
Darn… mine is still in the thinking about it stage…

3 Likes

Gasp! Stunning!

2 Likes

Wow! These are great!

2 Likes