My mini finger test

Riffing off @rbtdanforth’s post about magic finger boxes, I thought I’d share the little pencil holder I did. I got a belt sander for my birthday, so I decided to do mini fingers and round the edges. My technique needs some work, and this was Q&D unmasked Baltic birch, but I’m ready to dig into some of the interesting hardwoods I’ve stockpiled and start making boxes.

43 Likes

Those mini fingers seem to be the new tile :smiley: Those look great and the rounding is a nice touch!

2 Likes

I like the effect of setting the base slightly up, so as to enclose the fingers. Nice one.

John :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Oh, I love that look! Thanks, now I want a belt sander. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

this is the one i got. it’s not too expensive, it’s not permanently mounted, i.e., it’s a hand tool, but it comes with posts to mount it to any table edge and have it be a fixed mount temporarily.

https://www.amazon.com/18-Inch-Sanding-Tacklife-Variable-Adapter/dp/B076GVG4J6

7 Likes

Yes, the rounded edge looks so nice! Another tool to try!

1 Like

Yeah, I like the rounded edges too. :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

The tiny fingers and rounded edges seems to actually hide the “tabbed edge” look. It looks more like a pattern or decoration than the tabbed glue joints. Beautiful job. :grinning:

4 Likes

That is one gorgeous box.

1 Like

Thanks! and i agree. this was a big side benefit, it makes it look less lasered/charred. And sanding the corners removes almost, if not all, of the end burn, so it really lightens it up.

hoping i can inspire others to try similar methods and maybe push it in a direction i hadn’t anticipated to inspire me even more.

4 Likes

Great design. The minis and rounding make it look like stitching.

1 Like

i LOVE this.

1 Like

Very nice!

1 Like