Nailed it! šŸ˜

I wanted to run a quick leather project, so I thought Iā€™d give that little Magic Braid file a try. I adjusted the tiny hole sizes for the sized brads that I bought on the 5 strand braid file and sent it to be cut.

The Glowie cut it perfectly in about a minute and a half.
So anyway, popped off the masking and got down to some serious braidingā€¦

Nailed it!ā€¦ :smile:

Decided that one could be improved on a bit so gave it another shotā€¦

After a few more tries (like 12) I did finally get it looking something like a braided braceletā€¦

Little more smoothing and adjusting and it looks pretty good for a first shot at leather crafting.

Couple of comments about the Proofgrade leatherā€¦

Man is that stuff tough! :muscle:
It held up to (no kidding) at least a dozen attempts at braiding that flipping bracelet! I should have started with the 3-strand, but no, I had to get cuteā€¦ :rolling_eyes:

Yes, it do stinketh when you burn it. :mask:
Kind of reminds me of the smell when I accidentally get my hair too close to a blow dryer and some gets sucked in. (It curls - it goes where it wants to.)

Oh, one thing I discovered was that masking tape can be used to stick down the thin stuff like leather directly on the grid. (Itā€™s not going to hold up to a hurricane, but it shows potential for keeping paper stuck down.) :smile:

I need to adjust that file to make the bands thinner, I think it will make it easier to braid. And it was a little bit large for my wrists, so I could have scaled it down a lot more and not taken it right to the edge the way that I did, but ehā€¦live and learn! It was fun! I might have to try some engraving on the next one. :slightly_smiling_face:

Link to the shared files and instruction videos:

73 Likes

My wife had a bracelet like this that she loved, but lost it a few years ago on a work trip to India. Making her a replacement should score me some extra points! :wink:

22 Likes

One other tip if you do make oneā€¦make sure you get one of the setting tools for the snaps that matches the size of the decorative snaps that you buyā€¦apparently they donā€™t come included in the package for the expensive ones.

Back to Amazon we goā€¦

14 Likes

Yeah! Awesome :grin:
You rule.
Iā€™m going back to the CNC mill to try and figure out why when I start my program, it wants the Z to travel 15 inches up first. itā€™s not in the mastercam program, Iā€™ve zeroed the damn tool 4 times, and the only thing it calls for in the code is for it to raise by 1/2 in.
canā€™t wait to work with a machine that does what itā€™s supposed to (even though itā€™s probably my fault somehow).

5 Likes

Ooo, yes, do engrave one! Great project!

7 Likes

Sure itā€™s not 1/2 m? :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Peeling the paper out of intricate leather engraves is a lot of fun, try it when you have a reserve of patience!

12 Likes

Ahhh! Good to knowā€¦thanks! :smile:

6 Likes

This is great! Youā€™re hilarious, but the end result after you persevered looks pretty darn good. Now you should dye it and finish it! :hedgie:

5 Likes

g90/g91 issue?

2 Likes

Dyeing it is probably what Iā€™ll do with that one eventually. Itā€™s a first shot, I know I can improve on it.

I was also thinking about raising the focal point on the laser and doing a light pattern pass across the thing while it was braided, just see what kind of abstract effect I can get.

Havenā€™t got a lot of leather though, so I need to be careful with it. :smile:

7 Likes

How do you braid without free ends? My only experience is with onions!

3 Likes

Gratz Julesā€¦great job with the leatherā€¦is the leather supple enough to mold?

2 Likes

Very poorly, Iā€™m afraid! :confounded:

There are links to the videos that show how to do that in the original files that I shared in the Free Files section.

(I watched the video about a dozen times.) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Itā€™s not hard in theory, but it takes a little practice to get the feel of the material, and to figure out how tightly to braid it.

8 Likes

It was a little stiff at first for bands that wide, I need to make the file a bit narrower.

But you can loosen it up a lot by ā€œbreaking the spineā€ by running it back and forth along the edge of the desk before you start braiding it.

11 Likes

I love this post. You actually had me laughing before I had my first cup of coffee!

Looks like that leather will be great to work with![quote=ā€œJules, post:1, topic:6264ā€]
I should have started with the 3-strand, but no, I had to get cuteā€¦ :rolling_eyes:
[/quote]

How to we grow if we donā€™t aspire to do more?

9 Likes

I wonder if you could ā€œdestiffenā€ it by using that shoe treatment that you put on leather shoes to make them not so tight. We need @morganstanfield to set us straight. Come to think of it we havenā€™t heard from her for awhileā€“she must be about due!

10 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m thinking itā€™s almost time for her as well. Fingers crossed and prayers going up that all goes well for that! (I can learn to de-stiffen leather later!) :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I always wondered if that stuff affected the leather or my skin to make shoes comfortable.

I mean, both are skin. The leather has been treated to make it more durable, so which is more likely to be affected by snake oil?

4 Likes

nope, 4 hours of trouble shooting (program, code, and machine) last night with no success. Iā€™m blaming it on gremlins in the machine, deleting the program, and starting over.

2 Likes