Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope

My daughter is a systems engineer at NASA working on the Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope (Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope). I found a beauty shot rendering of the satellite, created a negative image, flipped the image, and engraved it on clear acrylic, then mounted it to black acrylic with the engraved side facing the black. I gave it to her for her birthday, and she is going to put it in her office at the Goddard Space Flight Center. I made U channels with my 3D printer to hold the two pieces of acrylic together.

33 Likes

Wow this turned out absolutely beautiful! I bet you will get requests for more from her colleagues. She has a very cool job :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That’s something to be really proud of. Beautiful job on a thoughtful gift.

5 Likes

Another way to hold two or more pieces together, without adhesive, is to cut 2 or 3mm holes in the corners, or around the sides, and use some M2 or M3 cap screws or similar hardware to bolt the parts together, like I did with this up-sized 7 segment display… If you engrave the area around the through-holes, you can countersink the heads a bit, too.

10 Likes

Good job, yeah the backing makes it pop. Edge lighting would electrify it. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

That’s awesome - I bet she was thrilled.

6 Likes

I had thought about that, but I was in a time crunch and did not have time to go to the hardware store. The smallest screws I had were #6 x 3/4", and those were way too large.

4 Likes

I dunno. Big bolts would have given it something of a “steampunk” flavor… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I really love this forum. Six degrees to great people is much more likely. I love these telescopes. Now I need to read more about this one. It doesn’t get the headlines.

Ahh. This is the one that repurposes an NRO scope.

7 Likes