Napkin holder for Mom

Woooh pretty.

6 Likes

Beautiful Work!

2 Likes

Never back down. This is what’s up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oooooooo, amazing! And your photography is outstanding–gives me an example to shoot for.

3 Likes

OK, that turned out great. Well done. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

We needed a new napkin holder so I spent an hour or so this morning designing a similar one of my own, and now I see your original design is for sale. Hopefully, mine will fit together as nicely as yours!

2 Likes

Delicate pattern.

1 Like

Knocked it out of the park, so beautiful.

2 Likes

And boy are they eating it up on Facebook. First time I seriously considered that selling designs could work. I hope you make a killing. It’s worth it.

3 Likes

It’s definitely working better than my try at selling earrings did! Bonus is I don’t have to package things up and drive them to the post office. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Agreeing with everyone else, it’s gorgeous. I love that you’ve taken the interlocking tabs and turned them into an attractive feature. This actually gives me an idea, I think if you set the kerf just right you could design table pieces intended to come apart easily for storage.

My mom loves seasonal decoration and table setting but is also trying to cut down on space. If I built a suite of objects such as @deirdrebeth suggested to you, a set for each holiday/season, but they were panels that could slide in and out together, she could collapse them for storage but still keep them all.

3 Likes

Inspired by your creation, I made one of my own. It was originally going to be a standard size napkin holder, but my wife asked me to make it slightly bigger so it could be also used as a bread basket. To my surprise, with so many tab and slot connections, it fit together like a charm. The toughest park was coming up with the right pattern for the sides that would hold together and fit my wife’s taste.

It is not quite as elaborate as your original masterpiece, with inlays and a top. But now that I know my layout works, I can make mods and add-ons for the next version.

8 Likes

Very nice! I’ve made a modified version of mine (by request) to hold cloth napkins, that’s slightly bigger and much deeper. I don’t have enough materials to make it right now, but here’s the prototype I whipped up to make sure stuff fit:

6 Likes

I was also inspired by your stuff but took a somewhat different tack. Unfortunately I found myself dealing with a big disruption so it might be a while before it is finally finished,

1 Like

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Looks like a work of art to the point where I would be afraid to take a napkin out of it (wipes face on sleeve instead).

1 Like

Wow–that is really a nice design and execution. Perfect for showing what a Glowforge does best! Congrats.

2 Likes

Amazing!

2 Likes

I don’t need another napkin holder, but can’t stop myself from wanting it!

It’s beautiful!

1 Like

Absolutely gorgeous. I am still learning and the thought of doing something like that seems so difficult. How were you able to lay it out so it did what you wanted it to do?

1 Like

I thing it’s just a matter of practice. :slight_smile: When I started I did a lot of cardboard prototyping to catch my errors, but over time I’ve gotten better at visualizing things correctly earlier in the process. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A lot of people use 3D modeling programs (e.g. Fusion360) to make the process more foolproof, but I haven’t gotten myself to sit down and take the time to get good with it yet. One of these days!

5 Likes