Need a Solution for a bad lid cable now , While I wait for a new Cable

Well that would be a lot of cycles, so you dont think it was an update , just time for it to go, it did show signs of getting worse , so perhaps the ribbon went bad.

Never Say Never but 96.4% Chance an update did not cause your problem give or take .7% :crazy_face:

Also, 99.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

2 Likes

I expect two things happened in April - a lot of folks had similar usage and the lifespan of the cable was reached where it broke and they put in some kind of diagnostic logging so they could determine remotely that the cable is the culprit. We don’t know how many machines went back to the mother ship for warranty repairs that were cable replacements. In fact they may have added diagnostic & field replacement as a result of seeing them coming back. The replacement cables are a bit longer.

2 Likes

The cables have been a problem for quite some time. Many months. The number of centering P&S reports have been fairly consistent. It’ just that the company has started to publicly identify the cables recently. Doesn’t look to me like there has been a statistically significant bump at any point in time. I base this on the 397 thousand posts I have read.

BTW: The vast majority of folks, except for Beta testers, are running the same firmware. Any firmware issue would affect all of us.

7 Likes

Here I am , 4 hours latter , hundreds of attempts to get this to run one more time. Hundreds of phone calls to clients letting them know the items are going to be late,
Refunding all the over night packages that were suppose to go out today.
Breaking promises to so many , and your making me laugh , nice thank you.

Waiting for a tracking number from Glow Forge for my over night shipment that I paid for in hopes of having some peace to end this .

But no word from support back yet.

1 Like

Yes, they typically look at the logs when there is a failure.

However, a month or so ago when there were widespread Google outages people were reporting the same thing - failed calibration, stuck on scanning, etc. Today there is a bunch of issues with Facebook products and this pages shows a sharp increase of Google issues today:

https://downdetector.com/status/google

1 Like

Yeah FB is not looking good either. Notice that the graphs follow a similar curve for both companies. If Google is having issues it will impact the Glowforge.

Please Glow Forge send me my tracking number Please I just want to sleep knowing i did something right,

Sorry, I can’t help you with that.

1 Like

I was just about to say that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

It’s not a firmware issue. The logs will show a camera hardware failure/unable to capture picture. If it were a firmware/software issue, how would replacing the cable fix it?

2 Likes

I think it’s the type of hinges. Someone said they were piano hinges…so that might be it.

1 Like

They do if the design makes them flex.

IMHO the company should have specified a much more robust cable even if it was a big, fat eyesore. You aren’t the first with this problem, and you won’t be the last.

2 Likes

The lid opens to limit close to 90 degrees. I notice that the cable is taught in that position, so I avoid full open for that reason.

2 Likes

I was also without Glowforge for about a month as I first got a basic back when I sent them a pro and that extended the problem, Recall also how many wires are in that ribbon and a problem with one will give different symptoms than a problem with a different one, As some are the camera and controls it is not surprising that the camera trouble would start on centering.

I know that Glowforge withdrawal is a terrible thing and can feel like you lost an arm but it will be back working, and you will find respect for that fact increased immensely.

1 Like

I wish I had a tenth of your productivity :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for your help, everyone! We’ve ordered the new replacement cable and It looks like the conversation is winding down, so I’m going to close this thread.