Need Actual Way to Find MAC Adddress

I’m trying to connect my Glowforge to an enterprise network, and I need the MAC address to be bale to bypass our captive portal. I’ve searched here, and apparently the two ridiculous answers are to either have an Android phone or have your network staff scan the entire wireless network for new devices. I’m sorry, but those are unacceptable. I did not think a $6K+ device would be a brick unless you also buy an Android phone or spend hundreds of dollars of staff time trying to find what new devices connected to your wifi network. Maybe I should haul the thing home and setup it up there and then haul it back and hope nothing breaks? Seriously.

Google “how to find MAC address” Hauling your Glowforge home and back will not help your situation as you would once again be trying to connect at an enterprise network.

1 Like

I did find a horribly convoluted way to get the unit’s MAC address using WiFi sharing on a mac and then arp from the command line to get the list of connected devices. It seems the Glowforge is good either for home users or enterprise users who can afford to spend a few hours finding something that should just be printed on the device or available from the setup screen. I definitely won’t be recommending this to any other higher education institutions.

P.S. If I had taken it home I could have gotten the MAC address easily from my consumer grade router since there are only 10 or so devices connected. Then I could have brought it back with MAC address is and had my staff bypass our captive portal for that MAC.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

You are not the only one that had trouble getting set up at a school. That being said, the opportunities afforded to students seems worth the initial setup hassle. Some of the ways students are using the Glowforge are amazing. Glad you worked through the hassle.

I’m sorry for the challenging start. You can follow these steps to find the MAC address of your Glowforge:

1. Reboot your Glowforge.

2. Wait at least 30 seconds, or until the Printer Head stops moving.

3. Open your browser and go to setup.glowforge.com.

4. Open the Javascript Console (in Chrome, this can be found under View > Developer > Javascript Console. In Firefox, it is found under Tools > Web Developer > Web Console).

5. Follow the Wi-Fi Setup steps until you are connected to the Glowforge Wi-Fi access point. The page will say “Connect Your Glowforge to Wi-Fi”.

6. In the Console, paste the following code:

fetch('http://192.168.192.1:3000/setup/connection_status').then((response) => { return response.json() }).then((data) => {console.log(data.address)})

1. This should return a bit of code that looks something like the following:

Promise {<pending>, nr@context: r}

a1:b2:c3:d4:ee:f5

Here’s how it looks in the Javascript Console on Google Chrome:

The second line in this response, a1:b2:c3:d4:ee:f5, is the MAC address.

1. Exit the webpage, reconnect to your usual Wi-Fi network, and reboot your Glowforge.

Please let me know if you run into any trouble with these steps.

11 Likes

@kyle.johnson it looks like you’ve been able to get connected since contacting us. That’s great! I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to post a new topic.