Need advice on how to finish a necklace

I made these Owl Necklaces, and I’d like to sell them on my Esty store. But I don’t know what kind of hardware to use to create a clasp at the back. Right now, they are just strings that I tie with a knot. It’s not very professional

Can anyone recommend some hardware I could use, or a tutorial video? I’ve never really made jewelry before.

Thanks.

Here is the original thread about these necklaces: 30 DoD Challenge - Day 1 - Owl Necklace

13 Likes

I don’t know which businesses you have up there Ben, but there are multitudes of jewelry findings for that solution. Amazon sells lots of them, Hobby Lobby, Joann’s, or Michael’s.
It’s all pretty simple. There are “lobster claw” clasps or snap rings that attach with what are called “jump rings”. Jump rings are just small metal rings that can be opened. The rule for those is not to spread them open, but to twist them open, slip on the chosen finding and then twist them closed.
A couple of small needle nose pliers will make the task easier.

YouTube is bound to have tutorials on using findings. Simple stuff. You’re a pretty crafty guy, you got this!

That necklace Rocks!

5 Likes

This necklace rocks. Best of fortune with the Etsy store.

2 Likes

Stuff like this is dirt cheap at hobby stores or online. They also have clasps that close, but these are nice because the are designed for string-like necklaces, as you can see from the pic…

7 Likes

I think the problem I have is that there are too many options on different types of clasps, and I don’t know which ones to choose. I go to my local Michael’s, and look at their jewerly aisle, and there’s too many things.

I guess I’m looking for specific recommendations, and perhaps something I could order online.

Thanks.

3 Likes

I like to make my own findings from wire, as shown in this video:

12 Likes

There you go - that is very similar to what I posted and designed for “string” necklaces.

3 Likes

The owl is stunning; that’s going to be a beautiful necklace for someone…want my address? :smile:

I found a clasp for cloth that could easily be converted to work with your necklace.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8198/files Jewelry like this shouldn’t have an obviously ‘commercial’ clasp. (Sorry, I’m a jewelry snob.)

I would re-fashion it so there’s no opening at the RH side, and elongate it in the width-wise direction (L-R) so it’s in alignment with the neck cords. Make a loop for the clasp to engage, and tie off the other side to the closed element. I would make it of wood or acrylic…maybe make it look like a feather so it complements the owl?

Show us how you finish it, please. we are really interested.

6 Likes

Owl-beak shaped clasp…

2 Likes

I never thought to make my own clasp! That’s a great idea. I’ll see what I can come up with. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks for the video. I’ll watch it this evening and see what I can make on my own. Combined with @kelley1’s idea to make my own clasp with your wire findings, I can probably make something really original!

That’s why I love this forum!

9 Likes

I love that handmade clasp!

I think you already have good advice, but want to say that if you’re selling on Etsy and are aiming for a more upscale shopper, I would go with a quality clasp that matches the quality of your art. A lot of clasps look cheap and don’t work well (and they may cause allergic reactions). It’s worth a bit more to get a good clasp.

Depending on the jewelry, though, I also like this style of clasp for cording. It just allows you to adjust the length of the necklace so you can slide it on/off without clasping. https://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h20a4297fn

5 Likes

This is the money quote. In my early days I made nice jewelry and slapped a cheap, time-saving clasp on it. Brings the whole thing down. I later took a clasp-design/making class from someone who made jewelry for blind people. I learned a lot about how to make things attach securely as well as being easy to undo without being prone to slipping away.

4 Likes

Do you know if that person is still doing workshops? I’m launching an artist/maker group and looking for people (hired) to run some really good workshops online.

2 Likes

The shepherd’s hook version is the one I use on my necklaces - they’re so cool!

1 Like

Sadly, I don’t. This was about 12 years ago.

1 Like

This is one of my favorite little finding shops. You could do a leather cord (comes in all kinds of colors and flat or round) and a simple end caps.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/loopinloop?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=580700750&section_id=6738268&page=2#items

https://www.etsy.com/shop/loopinloop?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=537416827&section_id=15348500

Or you could go with silk cord and hook eye clasp.

Not that these would work for you, but I adore these little clasps. :slight_smile:

Fire Mountain is another great resource with examples on how to do things.

6 Likes

there are a lot of professional looking knots you can use also that will make the necklace adjustable and do not reqiure any additional hardware. you can find lots of info on YouTube.

3 Likes

Good luck on Esty. They should sell well

1 Like

Your responses inspired me to make my own clasp. Here is what I came up with:

I left the strings a little long on the circle side, in case someone wants to asjust the length. I’m not sure if that’s a standard thing to do with necklaces or not.

12 Likes