Need BASIC Help

It seems everyone on here has A LOT more knowledge of software than myself. I am having issues making files in Inkscape into vector graphics so that the images can be separated out in the glowforge app. I am wasting material etc. I found a great link to a chart for engraving to see the different power levels but can’t seem to figure out how to convert it so that I can change each oval. Is there any link or forum that I am missing that will hold my hand through basic software functions and how to do these things?

The Inkscape tutorials online helped me. Also, the Glowforge “sees” colors, so changing each of your ovals to a different color will allow you to put in different power levels. In the Free Laser Design section of the forum you will also find some cut calibration templates.

2 Likes

Which one is it? :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s very easy to set different power levels for each engrave, since that is set up manually in the Glowforge interface. All you have to do is create your shape (a small oval or a square), then duplicate it a bunch of times, and change the fill colors on the copies. When you get into the GF interface, you will get a different engrave operation for every different fill color that it sees. You can set each one up with it’s own settings, varying the power and keeping the speed constant. (It also helps to put some descriptive text next to each shape, 10% power, 20% power, 30% power, etc. so you know what setting to use for that oval.)

There’s not a lot of difference in engraving results past a certain point though…with engraving, you really have only two colors, burned and not burned. Once it starts charring, you’re not going to get it any blacker, so start with the low power settings and work up. You’re rapidly going to hit black, and there’s no point in continuing past that point. More power is going to burn deeper, not darker.

2 Likes

I uploaded the engrave chart file someone created with all the ovals in different colors, but when I upload it into the GF app to engrave it shows up as one file on the left, not multiple that I can adjust by color. What do I do?

1 Like

Well, I’d need to take a look at the file itself…Zip it first and then upload it here by dragging and dropping it into a post.

1 Like

4 Likes

this is what I am having trouble with. Do I need to convert this?
Also when I create vector graphic in inkscape that are over6 scans, I can not get to the files on the left screen of the GF app how do I get that to work?

1 Like

Okay, that’s a PNG file, (raster) it’s not created with separate vectors filled with color, it’s just a pixel image.

To re-create that so that it works for what you are trying to do, you would need to create about 100 oval vector shapes and fill each one individually using the Inkscape fill colors. (In other words, it would take a really long time.)

I would suggest just doing two columns, one for 1000 speed and one for 900 speed. You can set the colors up for that many ovals easily. I wouldn’t even put the text on top - you can set it to the side or just start at 10% at the top and work down to see what the effect is.

I think you’ll find that you don’t see enough difference to make putting together a whole sheet of those worth it.

Hover over the thumbnails and use the mouse wheel to scroll down.

3 Likes

ah ok so create that in inkscape and just make sure to use different colors then save as svg? will that work?

1 Like

Yep! That’s the way we do it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

thanks Jules!

3 Likes

It’s not clear to you amidst the frustration, but you are not wasting anything. Trial by error is how progression is made. Failure leads to understanding, understanding failure leads to success.
A price to be paid. Welcome to the club. :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Thanks @PrintToLaser I know you are right. Maybe its veen to long since I have been this challenged. It is fantastic how helpful this community is because some of it I am not even sure how to word what I need to ask. So helpful.

5 Likes

Yes, there are a bunch of truly special people here.

3 Likes

I wandered in here knowing absolutely nothing about lasers , CNC and very little about design software. Still learning, but this community is why I can do anything at all - and I am still putting my shoulder against my ignorance as evidenced by “wasting” material, testing to get what I envision.
Difference is much less frustration now, and more enjoyment, including the challenge of figuring it out. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Keep after it.

"What on Earth would man do with himself if nothing stood in his way?" H.G. Wells

4 Likes

is youtube the best place for inkscape tutorials? just making sure I am not missing anything.

We actually have a list of suggested tutorials here in the Matrix:

2 Likes

I clicked the “help” tab on Inkscape and followed the tutorial links - starting with the absolute basics of setting up a document and drawing a circle.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the tips and help! I’m going to close this thread - if there are any other questions, please start a new topic or reach out to support@glowforge.com