Need computer help! (Not GF realted)

I’m such a huge dork. :woman_facepalming:
I won’t bore you with how or why, but I inadvertently disabled my graphics card and the obvious outcome was my monitor went black because there’s no input and now I can’t see a damn thing. I’m relatively computer savvy, but without being able to see anything, I can’t figure out how to get the driver back working and the display back.

-Starting in safe mode doesn’t help because I still can’t se anything
-Tried resetting the BIOS by removing the battery; no change
-Can’t figure out how to have it start in VGA mode or know if that would even help?

At this point, I’d be happy to upgrade and install a new graphics card, but I don’t even know if that’d fix it.
Any ideas?
(Windows 10)

2 Likes

Nothing? No POST or Bios flag page?

Try this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/disabled-intel-graphics-driver/1acbb259-03a4-4b34-9e1a-adaaa8356fc4

Not a thing. :-/ It could be I just not doing something right to se those things though. FWIW, it sounds like things are working fine and I just can’t see it.

2 Likes

I have, several times. I don’t know if it’s working and getting me to the repair screen and I can’t see it, or I’m just not getting to the screen at all. The timing of it it tough when you can’t see the actual logo though, so I’ve been trying to guess at the timing of it.

1 Like

is this a pc or laptop? You should always be able to see the post/bios screen unless the card itself is faulty.

1 Like

Desktop. Everything was working OK until I started screwing around and the monitor went from getting a signal to black when I changed a setting. But I know only enough to be dangerous so it’s possible the card is faulty and I’m just not understanding what happened, so here’s what led up to this.

I downloaded a game and the frame rate was awful. I checked my start-up tray and clicked on graphics card button (Nvidia) to see if I could make some adjustments, and it said it wasn’t installed (or something similar), which seemed weird since I know that’s the card I have. I then noticed the Intel graphics button and poked around that and that’s when I clicked it off and I lost all signal to the monitor. (As I did it, my my brain said, “Nooooooo, wait!”, but my hand did it anyway lol.) No I either can’t get it to start in safe-mode, or I just can’t see it. I know the cables are attacked and OK because the computer sees the cable, there’s just no signal.

1 Like

sounds like you might have switched from the nvidia card to the intel onboard graphics. Go to the back of your machine and look for another hdmi port NOT on the nvidia card the cable is plugged into and if you find one… plug the cable into that one.

10 Likes

HOLY FRIGGIN BATMAN, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’m fully willing to admit I’m not too bright and the HDMI cable was in computer port, and not the Nvidia graphics card port. :woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: My :cat2: knocked over my beautiful (expensive) screen destroying it and I got a new one 2 months ago. I obviously wasn’t paying attention and plugged it into the wrong port which must have automatically switched it to the onboard graphics. This totally explains the absolutely horrible performance I was getting too. I have spent hours trying to fix this and opened up the damn computer three times and never once did it occur to me the reason the Nvidia card wasn’t recognized was the port I was using. But one more question, shouldn’t I still be able to go into safe-mode and see the BIOS screen with the onboard graphics in use?

And now I’m off to play Red Dead Redemption 2 which started this whole debacle lol. Glad it did though!

(And on a very different note; I’m missing my favorite little group of GF friends and would ‘like’ to see you guys soon!)

10 Likes

You SHOULD… but it’s entirely possible while futzing with the intel thing you disabled onboard graphics. So by random chance we solved TWO problems. Got you back up and running AND got your performance back with the nvidia card. :rofl:

4 Likes

Dude, it’s 1000% better than it was. I didn’t want to tell hubby the replacement monitor he bought me was crap, but man, it was rough from the moment I plugged it in. It was sweet of him to get it though, so I’d never complain. Low and behold, it’s beautiful now. Plugging it into the correct port does wonder, who knew! :rofl:

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.