Need help! maybe replacement?

For the last couple weeks, I’ve noticed that in some of my cuts where I’m doing a whole sheet of the same thing, a few pieces are wider than the others by about 1/16th of an inch. I’ve narrowed it down that about an inch away from the left edge the movement feels off when gently moving the head by hand (when the machine is off, to clean it and center the logo under the camera). I double checked my design files weren’t incorrect. I am copy/pasting the same rectangular shape 8 times across the sheet and the left most on turns out to be 1/16th wider than the rest.

Also, since I got this basic at the end of may last year, is this past warranty?

Here’s the same shape copy pasted where this was on one side of the bed and the other

Same here. It’s even more frustrating since I wasted a sheet of pg walnut for this box that won’t line up now.

Could it be just a belt problem? How could I confirm? How could I replace?

Thanks for letting us know about this. I’m so sorry about the way your prints turned out.

Does this happen to every print 1" from the left edge of the bed?

Could you please try a test print for me:

1. Restart your Glowforge.
  2. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.
  3. Print three copies of the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Place two of the copies at the top and bottom of the left side of the bed (where you expect the issue) and one wherever you do not expect the issue.
  4. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.
  5. Remove the prints
  6. Stack the prints (engrave side up) so they align at the 0" mark and show the engraved tick marks and measurements. If it’s easier, you can take three photos with two Gift of Good Measure prints stacked on each other rather than three at once.
  7. Send me the photos and let me know the date and time of the print.

Thank you in advance!

It’s hard to really see it, given that it’s a camera angle, but I’ve put the 3 together, and took pics at various angles with the 0 side flush together. The one up front is about a 1/16th shorter. The print was done about 15 minutes ago… Near 1 am central time.

IMG_20180731_010453105

and this is the orientation of the cutouts on the screen.

this is probably the best definitive picture to show. The two on the left are the left edge, the one at 90 and is the proper length is the one off to the right side.

Matched up the true one with a clear ruler too

And here it is with just the two bad ones with the same clear ruler

The next frustrating thing: it came to mind that I had printed some pieces to assemble several boxes back in April and may, before the year was up, and can trace it back to this very same problem, I just didn’t realize the machine could error like this back then.

Thank you so much for posting the photos. They are exactly what I was looking for!

I’ll review them and post here when I have next steps.

I just wanted to let you know that I’m still looking into this.

Thank you so much for your patience.

Thank you

Thank you again for your patience.

After looking the photos over and chatting with a few team members, I believe the issue is most likely caused by the belt connected to the carriage plate.

The good new is, we can send you a replacement part so you won’t have to ship your unit back to us for repair. I’ll follow up via email to sort out the details.

4 Likes