Need help with image and Inkscape

I acquired (paid for) an svg image that isn’t put together the way I’d expect… it’s the State of Michigan with “Thankful for my Michigan roots” laid out across the upper and lower peninsulas. It appears that they used a single path to define everything as a single object so that the letters are effectively cut out of the fill area. I can’t figure out how to get the letters to convert to separate objects… as a vector graphics newbie I’m wondering if this is possible with Inkscape? I looked through the list of tutorials but nothing jumped out as being the relevant topic. Any help appreciated!

1 Like

Hmmm. Certainly possible and probably not that difficult for an experienced Inkscape user. But Catch 22. Almost impossible to give advice without the file. And how do you legitimately post the file that is someone else’s work?

1 Like

I can possibly help you out. I just purchased that image as well - this is it, right? If so, give me a bit and I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

OK. Looking at the file now. Are you wanting to cut the letters/words out as a separate shape from the state outline? I’m not sure what you’re wanting.

Yes, correct image. :slight_smile: I’m looking to cut the state outline and turn the letters into separate objects so that I can use them as engraves. Another thought would be to be able to edit the letters in a way so that I could cut some parts and score others so things like the O’s don’t just drop out entirely (ie, score the outline of the O’s while cutting the center), but engrave is my current want.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide!

1 Like

My pleasure! Let me see what I can do. I’m private messaging you and we can work through it and then share whatever we discover if it’s useful for the group.

4 Likes

Thanks to Mark, here’s my first cut of the piece…

10 Likes

Very nice! (That was very nice to help him fix up the file too @BigBlueMark!) :grinning:

1 Like

Totally happy to help! It’s the culture of this group for sure! And hey - I’m from Michigan, so I felt a kinship there!

4 Likes

Being impulsive, I decided to jump straight to cutting/engraving on Maple. 3 hours later…

11 Likes

Awesome collaboration, folks!

2 Likes

For anyone who’s wondering, here’s the “final” version. Approx 17" tall, 1/8" Maple plywood, HD engraves

6 Likes

Lovely print and even better teamwork - thanks @BigBlueMark!

2 Likes