Need help with the practice key chains?

I printed off 4 keychains in the learning area. Then I figured out how to upload files to engrave names on them from adobe illustrator and printed one of those. I only wanted the house shape so I deleted the others from the board. Did I PERMANENTLY delete them? I can’t find them now that I have an order to print 6 more. Please help me understand what I did wrong…and how to get the images of the key chains back…
Never mind, I think I figured it out. I went to the settings and clicked reset this design!

4 Likes

Yeah, the UI saves files in their last configuration, so you can drag them off the bed image to keep them in the file. :+1:

2 Likes

Sorry but I am truly a novice here. What does UI stand for please? :blush:

2 Likes

UI = User Interface.
GFUI = Glowforge User Interface.

There’s a whole list of acronyms on here somewhere…I’ll post it if I can find it and nobody else beats me to it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

That would be great…lol. Its my first day trying to print. I’m still trying to figure out why my second keychain did not engrave like the first one. I enlarged it to fit the name on it. Would that alter the depth of the engraving?

…it’s a wiki so anyone can edit…there are some less-than-:glowforge:-specific ones there too!

4 Likes

No, enlarging shouldn’t have changed how the engraving looked, just how long it took.

1 Like

well it was the preset program on here so I didn’t change any of the numbers??? hmmm?? a few of the letters barely even cut at all

thank you!

If you’re seeing numbers you must have clicked through out of the PG settings - and sometimes (for safety’s sake) they then revert to a 1 power.
If you’re using PG settings you’ll see only words (Engrave/Cut/Score) and the settings haven’t changed…but if you’re not using PG materials there can definitely be variations there!

5 Likes

I’m using proof grade wood. I just don’t know why some look like they were barely engraved and the first one cut nice and deep. I don’t have much wood left and need to print these 4 more keychains for a customer. ugh… The best way to describe it would be that the last 3 keychains look like the ink “bled” wheras the first one is nice and thin and clean lines.

The engrave “opens” the grain of the wood, and capillary action will draw the ink/paint into it.

If you use a clear paint and a fine artists brush to paint the sides of the engrave that will seal it and prevent that.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Great tip!

2 Likes

Thank you for the great tips and help everyone!

@aprilevans0808 would you please let us know if you’re still having any issues with your prints? If so, would you provide some photos that show the issues you’re having? Having the pictures would help us determine the next steps.

1 Like

Hello! Sorry for the delay. I have not been available for a few days. I got it to print just fine. It was user error, as I assumed it probably was. Thanks!

1 Like

I am so glad you were able to resolve the issue and get back to printing! I am going to close this thread now. If you have any other issues please start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com.

Happy Printing!