Need some ideas

Is using crushed walnut that much harsher than using soda? Either one has to be better than using actual sand…

I had one go through my tongue at a cookout!

1 Like

Citrus-based, or soap solution or pretty whatever ezstrip is called these days, unless there’s a distinct time element. Which if he has time to read this thread there likely isn’t.

I tend to go with the versions that take the least time and effort directly doing the job…

1 Like

That would make for a great James Bond evil villain torture technique :smile:

1 Like

OH…MY…GAWD!! Terrifying

1 Like

Unfortunately, he has a large surface area to deal with. The galvanized coating is very soft and if he wants to keep the original crystalline look and any antique value he needs to avoid mechanical methods. Otherwise I would agree wth the wire brush idea. There are some good lye based architectural stripping products. They are basically an absorbent blanket that you apply over a lye based paste. They are super effective and low VOC, but they will probably damage the zinc. So would a torch. I think his best option if he does not like chemicals is an industrial hot air gun a hard plastic scraper, and elbow grease. And time, lots of time.

3 Likes