Nesting Software - How to separate cut and engrave?

I’ve been using the Deepnest.io software but I have realized there isn’t a way to separate cut and engrave elements. When I nest the pieces together everything gets grouped as a cut. Is there a way around this or another software anyone recommends instead? Unfortunately the contact email for Deepnest is not in service any longer and so I have been having a hard time finding a solution to this.

TIA

When you create your file, use separate colors for engrave and cut functions.

2 Likes

Yes, I do that but when I import the file into deepnest it groups them as the same i.e. only cutting elements. Trying to find a better program that doesn’t do this.

Sorry I was not helpful. I haven’t needed a nesting program.

It’s been a while since I used Deepnest but if you are using Inkscape trying the file after it’s nested. Then upload to Inkscape click on the group object, then go to the "object "drop down and click on ungroup, you may need to do this twice for it work. If that ungroups the object into many then you can do what you need to do to change the operations. If you need help upload the file and i can take look at it.

1 Like

I don’t think this will work, since the Glowforge ui ignores inkscape groups.

1 Like

she will need to ungroup them in order to change the colors so the GF will know which operations to perform if Deepnest grouped them as one object then upload the file with the ungrouped objects to the GF has separate objects.

I upload grouped objects all the time and the GF does ungroup them perform the correct operation

1 Like

Yep, I do this all the time. Group the objects and just give them different colors. :glowforge: knows what to do.

2 Likes