New comer

Hello, My name is Augusta. I got my glow forge a week ago. I did my first three prints and looked at tons of tutorials on youtube about inkscape. I don’t however know or seem to be able to figure out how to get a simple circle the size of a dime to cut out and how to get the detail on it to etch. Can someone tell me the steps off inkscape and then to glowforge. Many thanks

1 Like

Welcome and the short answer is save your work as an svg file. Then click on home in the glowforge interface, then click on upload file and find your file, click okay.

Much longer but better answer. Go to tips and hints section on this forum and at the top of the page you will find a link to a Google spread sheet that will give you a great glowforge education!

5 Likes

Welcome. The Inkscape tutorials begin with explaining how to use the circle, square and star tools. Once you make a circle in Inkscape, you can choose to fill it with a color which will result in an engraved circle by the Glowforge or you can just outline the circle with no fill and the circle will cut out in the Glowforge interface. if you make a circle with one color for the outline and a different color for the fill of the circle, the Glowforge will engrave the circle and cut it out. Make your file in Inkscape on a 12 x 20 artboard then save as a Plain SVG. You can then upload that file into your Glowforge app from the home page of the app. Click upload, locate your file on your computer and click. The Glowforge interface will ask you if you want the file to open.

2 Likes

Here is an Inkscape file with two circles. One is only and outline, the other has a fill. In Inkscape, you can click on either circle and size it as you wish. You can also resize the circles in the Glowforge interface, but not as precisely. Good luck.circles.svg.zip (706 Bytes)

3 Likes

Thanks for the answers everyone, that’s right. I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!