New compact filter no fan on lowest setting

Hi I just received my compact filter. I connected it as instructed turned it on and set the dial to new. I started a print using proofgrade walnut plywood and I noticed a lot of smoke. Oh I turned in the little switch in the app so the glowforge fan is running much slower. I turned up the knob on the compact filter and the fan on the filter clicked into high gear. That fixes the smoke issue. I opened up the filter and removed the cartridge. I can see the fan at the bottom. It does not run on the new setting. As I turn the dial up it stays off until about halfway in the dial then switches into a high speed mode. I’d i keep going with the dial it does have one more speed near the top end. Should it run some at the low end? I really can’t use it there if that’s the case. Thanks. Ryan.

When your Glowforge and Compact Filter are properly set up, you may have some harmless odor during printing which will rapidly dissipate. You may also smell something when you open the Glowforge lid after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you notice a strong, unpleasant or irritating odor when printing, or see smoke, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created a troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/print#excessive-smoke-or-fumes-during-print

If you’re still seeing or smelling excessive smoke or fumes when using Proofgrade materials, we’re here for you. Email us again and send us:

1. The name of the material you’re using
  2. A description of where the smoke/fumes are coming from: the door, lid, or hose
  3. When you smell the fumes: during the print or after it has completed
  4. Photos of your Glowforge and your exhaust system

Hello! We too received the compact filter and the fan kicks on (really loudly) at about “3” on the dial. The “new” setting and beyond (until about the “3” setting does nothing). Did you get a resolution to this as we have the same issue? Thank you!

Tech support just responded with their standard reply for odor or smoke. I looked a little closer at the filter and there is a little indicator on the dial. The fan comes on when it hits new. I think that’s just how it works but the fan is higher speed than I though it would be. They should have an off setting marked in the dial to the left of new I think.

My apologies about our slow reply. That is correct, when the knob is turned to “New” that is when the fan turns on in the Compact Filter. As you use the filter you can turn up the knob to increase the speed of the fan as the filter fills.

I hope this information was helpful. Could you please let us know if you are still having any trouble with the Compact Filter?

It’s been a while since we’ve heard from you, so I’m going to close this thread.

If you are are still running into trouble, please start a new thread or reach out at support@glowforge.com.